Re: Changing the sponsors page - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Sean Crowley
Subject Re: Changing the sponsors page
Date
List pgsql-advocacy

On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 5:49 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
All,

http://www.postgresql.org/about/sponsors

I don't like this page.  I've been dragging my feet on updating it
because I don't think it works the way it is at all.

The current scheme of Platinum/Gold/Silver/Bronze was designed by Josh
Drake, and put through because he did the web work to make it happen.
However, I don't think the criteria there make a lot of sense, and we've
never had consensus on the "level" scheme -- we've just kept what's
there because nobody could be bothered to rework it.  Furthermore, I
don't think it's possible to come up with a consensus on any system
which involves more than 2 levels and apply it.

Therefore, I would like to simplify this page into two categories: Major
Sponsors and Sponsors.

Major Sponsors would be companies who have supported one or more
full-time contributors, or the equivalent, for more than one year.

Sponsors would be any company who has consistently contributed
substantial developer time and/or money to PostgreSQL (i.e. several
$thousand) for a year or more.  A company which does *only* event
sponsorships wouldn't count, because they already get credit through the
event.

I think this scheme would be a lot simpler and easier to maintain, and
result in less arguing about what level someone should be.

I think that is a good idea. And, a simpler way to reflect the commitment of
those organizations supporting the community in a more democratic way (this
isn't for a conference after all). It also allows you to recognize those in
the community that have invested significant resources to further the
development of PostgreSQL.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Sean Crowley
Director of Marketing
EnterpriseDB Corporation
The Enterprise Postgres Company
sean.crowley@enterprisedb.com
w - 781-357-3202
c - 617-584-5630
Website: www.enterprisedb.com

Follow us:
EnterpriseDB Blog: http://blogs.enterprisedb.com/
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/enterprisedb
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/companies/14958
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/EnterpriseDB/11117810845?ref=ts

This e-mail message (and any attachment) is intended for the use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed. This message contains information from EnterpriseDB Corporation that may be privileged, confidential, or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient or authorized to receive this for the intended recipient, any use, dissemination, distribution, retention, archiving, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete this message.