Re: [GENERAL] Inserts in triggers - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Richard Huxton
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Inserts in triggers
Date
List pgsql-sql
From: "Morgan Curley" <mcurley@e4media.com>

> Are there server setting that need to be set in order to do inserts from
> trigger functions?

Don't think so. Triggers run with the permissions of the creator, not the
caller though so you might want to look into that.

> I keep getting:  ERROR:  parser: parse error at or near "$1"
> and the DEBUG log entry points to the line with the insert on it.
> i.e.

Could you quote a few lines of code either side - especially something with
the $1

> INSERT events ( event_id, sport_id ,name ,feed_code, start_time,
> active_flag, create_timestamp, update_timestamp ) VALUES ( event_id
> ,sport_id ,feed_code ,feed_code, create_timestamp, 1, create_timestamp,
> create_timestamp );
>
> where the values list is a list of predefined vars.

Well it should be INSERT INTO ... but I presume this is a cut & paste issue.

So you have variable names the same as all the field names? I'd probably
change them (stick v_ on the front or something). Even if plpgsql doesn't
get confused readers will.

- Richard Huxton