Empty bytea values on 9.2.1 - Mailing list pgsql-odbc

From Nils Gösche
Subject Empty bytea values on 9.2.1
Date
List pgsql-odbc
Hi!

On an 8.4 installation, I have a table with a bytea column. In some rows, the
value of this column has length 0. When I query that table with a normal SELECT,
using the ODBC driver from C#, I get a byte[] object of length 0 on those rows.

So far so good.

Now, I dumped the database and restored it on a 9.2.1 installation. The tables
look the same on the new installation: Zero length of the bytea values in some
columns. However, if I try to retrieve such rows with the exact same program as
above, with the same ODBC driver, same connection string except the host name,
suddenly I get a byte[] object of length 1! And the one byte in that array
appears to be random!

At first, I thought it might be a Postgres bug. I wrote a simple program that
uses Npgsql to retrieve those rows, however, the behavior wasn't reproducible
anymore that way. It occurs only if I use ODBC. So, I suspect there is something
in the ODBC driver causing this.

Can anybody else confirm this?

Regards,
--