Re: Test - Mailing list pgsql-php

From Adam Lang
Subject Re: Test
Date
List pgsql-php

Adam Lang
Systems Engineer
Rutgers Casualty Insurance Company
http://www.rutgersinsurance.com
----- Original Message -----
From: "Chadwick Rolfs" <c2304182@webdevel.urban.csuohio.edu>
To: "Adam Lang" <aalang@rutgersinsurance.com>
Cc: <pgsql-php@postgresql.org>
Sent: Wednesday, June 13, 2001 5:38 PM
Subject: Re: [PHP] Test

> Well, thank you very much.  I hope that's not sarcasm I detect in this
> effort to educate the newbies.  I should mention that I am a newbie, I am
> constantly reading the documentation, and that I KNOW WHERE TO START.
> Here.  I got to this list from postgresql.org, and the php lists are tough
> to navigate (ie, i recieve, but can't seem to consistently post.)

It was not sarcasm.  It was said exactly as it was emant.  As someone else
posted, the list is not to tutor.  Showing saying "this is what I want to
do, someone do it for me" is a waste of most of the listers time. The vast
majority of posts involving code are of the form "I have done this <post
code> and it still is not working, any ideas?".  This shows you actually
tried doing work on your own first and have a basic understanding of what is
going on.  Also, it helps us because we don't have to teach PHP, but instead
look to see where code went wrong or an idea went wrong.

This is actually pretty much the way it goes on the several programming
lists I am on.  Nealry all of us have things to do besides these lists and
do not have the time to teach how to program from the beginning.

> Maybe, since you seem to be "in the know", you can point out one of the
> pgsql/php functions you have mentioned instead of giving me useless
> information.  That would help...
> If you look closely, you'll see that there is a problem, there is really
> no function that takes web form contents (yes the name=value pairs, not
> the html tags (w3.org can do that!)) and puts these into :

I did point you in that direction.  I said to go to www.php.net and search
on pg_connect and it should bring up all the relevant postgresql functions.
I just did it right now and on the left of teh screen ALL the postgresql
functions are listed.

As far as a function to get the data that was put into forms (input boxes,
select fields, etc.) , there is no function to do that.  The variables are
passed to the next php script.  You have to take the values and right your
own functions to stick them in the database... using the postgresql
functions available.

> insert into <table_name> ($web_form_names) values ($web_form_values);

That is the correct query.  Except you don't pass the form name.  You have
to get each variable by referencing each field it was put in.