Re: numeric/decimal docs bug? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Christopher Kings-Lynne
Subject Re: numeric/decimal docs bug?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Jan, regression is not a test of the level a developer would use to make
> sure his code works.  It is merely to make sure the install works on a
> limited number of cases.

News to me!  If anything, I don't think a lot of the current regression
tests are comprehensive enough!  For the SET/DROP NOT NULL patch I
submitted, I included a regression test that tests every one of the
preconditions in my code - that way if anything gets changed or broken,
we'll find out very quickly.

I personally don't have a problem with the time taken to regression test -
and I think that trimming the numeric test _might_ be a false economy.  Who
knows what's going to turn around and bite us oneday?

>  Having seen zero reports of any numeric
> failures since we installed it, and seeing it takes >10x times longer
> than the other tests, I think it should be paired back.  Do we really
> need 10 tests of each complex function?  I think one would do the trick.

A good point tho, I didn't submit a regression test that tries to ALTER 3
different non-existent tables to check for failures - one test was enough...

Chris