Re: Re: couple of general questions - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Gregory Wood
Subject Re: Re: couple of general questions
Date
List pgsql-general
> Umm, sorry.

Sorry again, bad day mixed with feeling rubbed the wrong way.

> and (as pointed out on this thread) it's not even valid
> for the whole of the US.

That's new on me... I have a list of U.S. Postal Codes that all consist of
two letters. This includes all the U.S. states, territories and Canadian
Provinces. I'd love an example of an invalid code.

> Personally, for all DB systems I build now I just make
> *every* text field type text and never use char()/varchar().
> Everything time I think I've made it long enough, someone
> comes up with an example that's longer. The performance
> difference is marginal or non-existant.

That wouldn't be too bad an idea, except the way my interface handles TEXT
fields. I use Delphi with a client/server architecture called Asta. Some
Delphi visual components (the [in]famous grid control in particular) only
display TEXT fields as "(MEMO)" (or "(memo)" if the value is NULL). In
addition, Asta allows me to choose whether or not to send Blob and Memo
fields. This can be incredibly handy for reducing bandwidth on tables with
large fields. If I did choose to make all my fields TEXT, I would lose that
advantage :(

If it weren't for those little implementation details, I think all my fields
would be TEXT as well :)

> Don't think I'm attacking you, I'm just trying to help...

Sorry again... was feeling a bit defensive. Thank god it's the weekend...

Greg