Re: WIP: CoC - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Regina Obe
Subject Re: WIP: CoC
Date
List pgsql-general

> We value the opinions of members who have contributed most more than we value the opinions of others.

> A CoC is not the place to say some animals are more equal than others. A core commiter calling someone the n- or b- words is just as bad as me, a non commiter (if not worse!)

Yes it is.  If a stranger comes and wants something changed, and Tom Lane says no. You should go with Tom Lane.  Period.

Now the whole n-or-b thing gets into obvious not helpful dialogue which is not helpful.  I'm sure anyone would agree that if Tom called me a nigger, it's not helpful to our communication, and you should therefore tell him to shut-up regardless who he is.

So the point is, some things ARE about fluffy opinions and when such disputes arise and there is a tie, the people who have contributed to a project more should win.

So that means if you like Josh's Coc as much as my  Coc and you can't decide you should go with his.

> While we do consider people's feelings, we weigh that against the effort of changing long understood terminology and the psychological trauma
such changes would cause for the large majority of people who are not as sensitive to the usage.

> What psychological trauma? From changing terms? Are you crazy? (See for that you'd like to the CoC to tell me why that wasn't an appropriate way to express my disbelief that someone would equate a change of term to psychological trauma.

Think about if all your life when you've been talking about replication you've been using master/slave, and someone says from now on, It's leader/follower.

So now in every conference you go to you need to catch yourself when you are saying Master/Slave – oops I meant to say Leader / Follower.

To me that's psychological trauma.  It's the same psychological trauma I had to face being born a left-handed and being forced to write with my right-hand.

> Also, "because it's been that way always" and "it would be a minor inconvience to a lot of people" are rarely good reasons to dismiss a valid objection to a term.

I left the door open for that intentionally – we are more okay with changing new undecided terms than old terms.  I should add cost in there.

> Also, why did you have a quote at the top? Were you responding to something?

Mistake.

Thanks,

Regina

Jim

On January 11, 2016 5:56:08 PM EST, Regina Obe <lr@pcorp.us> wrote:

 2. The CoC is not about being offended. The act of being offended is purely a recipient response and usually the offended individual is more interested in being a victim than moving forward.

Here is my latest version.  Let me know if I should throw in a github repo so it's easier to read or if you have other plans for a Coc.

Like the open source technical community as a whole, our community is made up of a mixture of professionals and volunteers with vast differences of opinions and
styles of communication. Our community is made up of people from many cultures and walks of life who have come together
with the common goals of making a great piece of software and helping others use this software.

We value contributions from everybody. By contributions we mean
code, documentation, project outreach in form of setting up conferences or working groups,
package maintenance, answering and asking questions in our forums which further our mission, and providing bug reports.

If you have contributed to our project, then we consider you a member
of our extended family and value your opinions and concerns very highly.

We value the opinions of members who have contributed most more than we value the opinions of others.
This is because major contributors have already proved their desire to further our mission, and for newcomers,
their intention has not yet been established.

We want everyone entering our community willing to help out to feel welcomed.

To maintain and encourage a welcoming environment we ask all people interacting with our community to follow these guidelines when in our
public spaces.  By public spaces we mean mailing lists, IRC channels, Code repositories, and
reporting bug reports

GUIDELINES

1) When in discussions keep focused on the topic being discussed.
2) Say helpful things, and if you feel you have nothing to say that furthers the discussion, say nothing.

By helpful we mean for example:
If someone asks a question, even if it's one that you think has an obvious answer, either provide an example or a link to the section of the manual that covers it.

If you feel a person does not provide enough information for someone to help, point them to this link: https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Guide_to_reporting_problems

3) Do not switch the topic to yourself unless the topic happens to be about you.
For example if someone is asking a question about replication, and the words master and slave come up in discussion,
do not talk about the great master/slave sex you had last night.

4) Do
not ask questions that are unrelated to the mission of our project.

USE OF TRIGGER TERMS

We have long standing terms like Master/Slave that may trigger some past trauma for some people.
While we do consider people's feelings, we weigh that against the effort of changing long understood terminology and the psychological trauma
such changes would cause for the large majority of people who are not as sensitive to the usage.
As such we entertain change requests for naming of new features more than we do of renaming old features.

HANDLING ISSUES

We understand that through no fault of anybody, a person may make a comment they consider harmless that others find very offensive or makes another feel small. As project maintainers
we will monitor these and gently call people out on them even if they are a member of our maintainer group.

By gentle call out, we mean something like "I think what X was trying to say was
that you need to do this" or point them to this document and specific bullet point we feel they violated.

We expect of everyone in our spaces to try their best to do the same in a kind and gentle manner. If you feel it's just a minor offense and the person didn't mean harm by it,
simply ignore it unless the pattern of talk continues.

If anyone is being  purposely antagonistic please notify the project maintainer group at ... with the specific occurrence and evidence that made you feel this way.
We will judge if your complaints are valid and if we deem they are valid we will talk with the person to affect a change in their behavior or kick them out if we determine behavior change is not possible.

We do not tolerate those we feel are trying to derail our project by injecting
discussions that have little to do with the mission of our project.
If you have contributed nothing to our project and you make demands for change, we will
try to tell you that kindly
and request you to change or leave.

We promise as project maintainers to apply the same standards on ourselves as we apply to others.

Thanks,
Regina