Crappy performance even though not swapping - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Neil Aggarwal
Subject Crappy performance even though not swapping
Date
Re: Crappy performance even though not swapping  ("Neil Aggarwal" <neil@JAMMConsulting.com>)
Re: Crappy performance even though not swapping  (Richard Broersma Jr <rabroersma@yahoo.com>)
List pgsql-novice
Hello:

I have a Java program that is trying to import over 8 million
rows from a text file.

When the program starts up, it runs fine, but after a while
it begins to crawl.

This is usually symptomatic of a machine that started swapping,
but take a look at the attached output from top.

I am using a LOT of memory, but the swap is still very
low.  I don't think the machine should be paging to disk.

The CPU states show that the cpus are spending most of their time
in an idle state.  The process list shows the postmaster and java
processes are less than 10 percent the CPU cycles.

Having said that, the load average is still about 2.

Any ideas what could be going on?

Thanks,
    Neil

FREE! Eliminate junk email and reclaim your inbox.
Visit http://www.spammilter.com for details.

Attachment