Re: Connection problem - Mailing list pgsql-php

From Dan Wilson
Subject Re: Connection problem
Date
List pgsql-php
I'm sorry, I didn't look at this very closely...  just looked at the error
and assumed....

It looks like your problem is actually your variable that you are passing
into the pg_connect.  When you are setting up your connection string,
$con_string should be $this->con_string.

It's giving you this error because it's not getting any parameters in
pg_connect.

-Dan

: What exactly are you trying to do here?
:
: Depending on what you really want to do here, you need to change your
: connection string to fit what you want.
:
: In order to connect to postgres, you must specify a database.  If you do
not
: want to connect to a database immediately, then you can use the default
: database (which is usually "template1").  Otherwise, if you don't indicate
: database to which to connect, it will assume you are trying to connect to
: the user's database, which by default is the same name as the user.  I'm
: assuming that your web server is running under the "www-data" user
account.
:
: If you explain more in detail what you want to accomplish, we will be able
: to help better.
:
: -Dan
:
:
: : Hi,
: : I try to connect to a PostgreSQL database from my php script, and get
the
: following error:
: :
: : Warning: Unable to connect to PostgreSQL server: FATAL 1: Database
: "www-data" does not exist in the system
: : catalog. in /home/lao/proj/hajnalcsillag/www/classes/DBConnection.php on
: line 10
: :
: : The code is:
: : <?
: :
: : class DBConnection
: : {
: :     var $con_string;
: :
: :     function DBConnection()
: :     {
: :         $con_string = "dbname=hajnalcsillag user=lao password=abc123
: host=localhost port=5432";
: :         $ret = pg_connect( $this->con_string );
: :     }
: : }
: :
: : ?>
: :
: : I could solve part of the problem by creating a user and database called
: 'www-data'.
: : Since I have several sites on the same server, I need more independent
: db-s, so this solution is not enough.
: : This seems to be a configuration problem, but I don't know where to turn
: off this (security?) option.
: :
: : The versions are:
: : PHP Version 4.1.0RC1
: : PostgreSQL 7.1.3
: : Apache/1.3.22
: : Debian sid
: :
: : Could anyone help me please?
: : Thanks, Peter
: :
: : TIP 5: Have you checked our extensive FAQ?
: :
: : http://www.postgresql.org/users-lounge/docs/faq.html
: :
: