Re: SQL report - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From wkipjohn@gmail.com
Subject Re: SQL report
Date
List pgsql-sql
Hi Steve,<br /><br />Thanks for you suggestions. In my senario, what is current depends on users. Because if user wants
astatus report at 00:00 1st Jan 2009, then 00:00 1st Jan 2009 is current. So it is not possible to flag any records as
willrecord the status of an object regularly, all the status records are stored in one table. And it will keep a
historyof maximum 1000 status record for each object it tracks. The maximum objects the system will track is 100,000.
haveto generate a report on the latest status of all objects being tracked at a particular point in time, and also I
haveto allow user to sort and filter on different columes in the status record displayed in the report.<br />> <br
Adda "latest record id" field in your object table (automatically updated with a trigger) that would allow you to do a
simplejoin with the tracking table. I suspect that such a join will be far faster than calculating "max" 100,000 times
flag"in the status table that simply flags the most recent record for each object (again, use triggers to keep the flag
appropriatelyupdated). This would also eliminate the need for the "max" subquery. You could even create a partial index
filteringon the "current record flag" which could speed things up if the reporting query is written correctly.<br
table"(each inheriting from the main table). Use a trigger so that anytime a new status record in added, the old
"current"record is moved from the "current" to the "historical" table and the new one added to the "current" table. The
lateststatus report will only need a simple join on the "current" table with a max size of 100,000 rather than a more