sum multiple tables gives wrong answer? - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Michael Diener
Subject sum multiple tables gives wrong answer?
Date
List pgsql-novice

Hi,

I’m new to the list and have the following situation happening "PostgreSQL 8.4.1, compiled by Visual C++ build 1400, 32-bit" running windows XP sp3

I have an SQL problem that I thought was easy to do but gives me always the wrong answer.

2 Tables with a column called “flaeche” “double precision”, in English  “area” and I want to sum up the values for flaeche in each table to give me the total area for flaeche in each table.

Correct answer comes with this sql

select  sum(flaeche)/10000 as "greens HA"  from green;

result:

greenHA

1.25358085

Wrong Answer with this query

select

 sum(green.flaeche)/10000 as "greens HA",

 sum (fairway.flaeche)/10000 as "fairway HA"

  from green, fairway;

result:

green HA                   fairway HA

48.8896531                 508.94143659

Fairway correct answer is  14.96886578 HA

Green correct answer is 1.25358085  HA

What is going on ??

Cheers

michael