dump - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Matt Block
Subject dump
Date
List pgsql-general
I'm having a problem dumping a database.  I'm not the original
author of the database, and the schema is a bit unfamiliar.  It's
possible that something is really wonked deep down in the data...

[prompt]$ pg_dump -s smile
NOTICE:  Unrecognized variable client_encoding
getTables(): relation 'users': cannot find function with oid 1644 for
trigger RI_ConstraintTrigger_196192

I understand neither the NOTICE, nor the error (which appears to
be fatal).

The oid does not exist in 'users' (or, indeed, in any other table
in the database).  PostgreSQL appears to be version 7.0.
(SELECT version(); gives
PostgreSQL 7.0.0 on i686-pc-linux-gnu, compiled by gcc egcs-2.91.66)

The goal, here, is to get the information and structure from this
installation into another installation; I have PostgreSQL 7.1 and
change installed on another box, and need the database on the new
box.  My thought is that the easiest way to accomplish this is to
pg_dump -d and read it in on the new installation.  If there's a
simpler or better way, please advise.

Indeed, please advise!

Thanks in advance,

  -- Matt