Re: pg_dump help - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Len Morgan
Subject Re: pg_dump help
Date
List pgsql-general
-----Original Message-----
From: Robert D. Nelson <RDNELSON@co.centre.pa.us>

>>I am trying to copy a table from my local database to a client's.  The
>>problem is I keep getting a message from pg_dump:
>>
>>"can't find template1 database.  You are really hosed."
>
>If this isn't fixed yet.....Can I get a screenshot of that? We have a hall
>of shame here, ya know ;)
>

>Rob Nelson
>rdnelson@co.centre.pa.us

Sorry, I did "fix it" although I can recreate it if you want to see it.

I still seem to have an additional problem though that is somewhat related:

All of my tables, indexes, and sequences are doubled if you do a \dt or \di
or \ds!

If I do pg_dump now, I get two CREATE TABLEs, two COPYs, two CREATE INDEXs
etc.  If I dump just one table, then fix the file manually, then drop the
table and reload it, I end up with 2 tables in the database again!

If I go look in the PGDATA directory, I only have one copy of each table
there.  I'm afraid that I'm going to have to dump ALL of my tables in ALL of
my databases, manually fix them (250MB+ !) and then remove every bit of
evidence that I ever had Postgres on this machine and then try and reload.
I suspect that some of my problem came from trying to upgrade to 7.0 and not
COMPLETELY eliminating the old pgdata directory (the new RPM puts it one
level lower in the directory tree).  I'm sure the README.rpm tells me that I
must do this or grave things might happen.  I guess that's why you should
always read the documentation BEFORE you do something. :-(

len morgan