Re: mysqldump export and pg_dump import - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Norman Clarke
Subject Re: mysqldump export and pg_dump import
Date
List pgsql-general
Hello,

You'll probably want to create the tables form scratch in postgres because
the datatypes and table creation syntax in each is pretty different. Then
dump just the data from MySQL and load the dump files into PostgreSQL.

Mysqldump provides several command-line switches for tweaking how  the table
dump is formatted. You might want to do something like:

mysqldump -ct <database> <table> >

This will output just the data (no table creation info) as full INSERT
statements of the following form:

INSERT INTO mytable(col1, col2, col3) VALUES('1','2','3');

As long as the column names are the same and the general datatype
(string, integer, etc.) is the same, it should load pretty easily.

To load them , don't use pg_dump, just do

psql -f <datafile> <database>

Good luck!

Norm