Re: Using BLOBs with PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Martin A. Marques
Subject Re: Using BLOBs with PostgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-general
On Sat, 07 Oct 2000, Tim Kientzle wrote:

> I've been using MySQL for initial development; it has pretty
> clean and easy-to-use BLOB support.  You just declare a BLOB
> column type, then read and write arbitrarily large chunks of data.
> In Perl, BLOB columns work just like varchar columns; in JDBC,
> the getBinaryStream()/setBinaryStream() functions provide support
> for streaming large data objects.

If you're talking about BLOB texts, just declare the column as text and thats
all. In the case of binary data, I don't have an idea. I only work we text
data.

> How well-supported is this functionality in PostgreSQL?
> I did some early experimenting with PG, but couldn't
> find any column type that would accept binary data
> (apparently PG's parser chokes on null characters?).
>
> I've heard about TOAST, but have no idea what it really
> is, how to use it, or how well it performs.  I'm leery
> of database-specific APIs.

As far as I have listen, it looks like a nice way to optimize searches in
blobs. Don't know anything else.

Saludos... :-)

--
"And I'm happy, because you make me feel good, about me." - Melvin Udall
Mart�n Marqu�s            email:     martin@math.unl.edu.ar