Postmaster startup problems - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Collin Peters
Subject Postmaster startup problems
Date
List pgsql-general
I'm having problems starting postgres.    What happens is that I start it
but then it says it isn't running.

In one terminal window:
postgres@the-kernel:~$ postmaster -D /usr/local/pgsql/data/
>$HOME/pm.log
DEBUG:    Data Base System is starting up at Sat Oct  7 13:13:29 2000
DEBUG:    Data Base System was shut down at Sat Oct  7 13:13:25 2000
DEBUG:    Data Base System is in production state at Sat Oct  7 13:13:29
2000

In another terminal window while still looking at postmaster 'running' in
the other:
postgres@the-kernel:~$ psql
psql: connectDBStart() -- connect() failed: Connection refused
    Is the postmaster running at 'localhost'
    and accepting connections on Unix socket '5432'?

If I try to start postmaster again:
postgres@the-kernel:~$ postmaster -D /usr/local/pgsql/data/
>$HOME/pm.log
FATAL: StreamServerPort: bind() failed: Address already in use
    Is another postmaster already running on that port?
    If not, remove socket node (/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432) and retry.
/usr/local/pgsql/bin//postmaster: cannot create UNIX stream port

Which leads me to think that it is in fact running.  But I can't
connect!!  Is it maybe running on a different port or something?  Another
strange thing is that TOP reports the running process to be
/usr/local/pgsql/bin instead of /usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster which is
the way I remember it running before.

Collin Peters