Re: [HACKERS] Re: still no log - Mailing list pgsql-general

From rob
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Re: still no log
Date
List pgsql-general
You need to edit /etc/rc.d/init.d/postgresql

change the line that looks like this:

su -l postgres -c "/usr/bin/pg_ctl  -D $PGDATA -p /usr/bin/postmaster start
>/dev/null 2>&1"
to:

su -l postgres -c "/usr/bin/pg_ctl  -D $PGDATA -p /usr/bin/postmaster start
>> /var/log/postgres 2>&1"

Notice the appended redirection (>>)  and the file name (/var/log/postgres)

I'm pretty sure the logrotate entries are disabled by default.  They cannot
rotate the logs unless the postmaster is stopped/restarted at the time of
rotate and you may not want your posmaster going down unexpectedly in a 24x7
application.

As to why RPM's install this way, I have no idea.  I'm just grateful they
exist.

--rob