RE: Fix for RENAME - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Hiroshi Inoue
Subject RE: Fix for RENAME
Date
List pgsql-hackers

It seems to me that we have to reach some consensus in
order to get a standard transactional control mechanism
to change the allocation of table files. Probably we would
have to separate things into 2 parts.
1) Where to allocate tables --  we would need some encapsulation   like tablespace.  It would be better to be handled
differentlyby   each storage manager. Note that tablespace is only an encap-   sulation and doesn't necessarily mean
thatof Oracle.

2) Where tables are allocated --  only specific strorage manager   knows the meaing and everything would be treated
internally.

Under current (file per table) storage manager,#1 isn't necessarily
needed for the implementaion of #2 and Ross has already tried it.
If we could get some consensus on the future direction of 1)2),
we would be able to apply his implementation.

Regards.

Hiroshi Inoue
Inoue@tpf.co.jp