Re: Problem in using PostgreSQL ODBC driver with VBA - Mailing list pgsql-odbc

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: Problem in using PostgreSQL ODBC driver with VBA
Date
List pgsql-odbc
On 11/04/2016 04:52 AM, Vincenzo Turturro wrote:
> Il 03/11/2016 16:53, Fred Parkinson ha scritto:
>> Been there done that.
>>

> I'm not writing a new application: I'm reingeneering an existing
> application (eventually the first of a set of ten) and I merely can't
> browse the thousands of lines of vba code in order to change all the
> "If" statements.
>
> Nor I can use the automatic "search and replace" function because the if
> statements can be of the type
>
> If BoolField = BoolVar then
> do something
> end if
>
> Nor I can change the type of all the boolean variables to Char.
>
> And I simply don't want even to think about the nightmare to dig all the
> SQL statements, which often are built in VBA "on the fly" according to
> user's choices ...
>
> Do you think I should evaluate another database, more "Access friendly" ?

So in the Access instance I have running successfully against Postgres
the ODBC Bools as Char is checked and True is -1 is not checked. One
thing I did run across, which I forgotten was the 32/64 bit problem.
The app is using the 32 bit ODBC driver whereas the default ODBC manager
in Control Panel is the 64 bit one. To get at the correct one I had to run:

https://odbc.postgresql.org/faq.html#6.8

%SystemRoot%\syswow64\odbcad32.exe

Could that be an issue in your case?

In your original post you say SW_UE is boolean column in the database.
Just to be sure, it is defined as boolean in the Postgres table?

The more I thought about it the more I was sure that:

If SW_UE = -1 Then

is not the problem. That comparison is being done in VBA(Access) and I
would think would raise a VBA error not the Postgres one you show. That
leads me to believe the issue is in:

Do something

End If

in particular the Do something part. That what is being returned to
Postgres is the problem. So what is being returned?

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com