Re: Debugging Postgres? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Dennis
Subject Re: Debugging Postgres?
Date
List pgsql-general

tcpdump and/or wireshark will help with detecting network issues.   Wireshark is a little easier to grok if you are not used to doing packet dumps.  http://www.wireshark.org/

Dennis

From: pgsql-general-owner@postgresql.org [mailto:pgsql-general-owner@postgresql.org] On Behalf Of Jayadevan M
Sent: Wednesday, August 14, 2013 9:14 PM
To: Barth Weishoff
Cc: pgsql-general@postgresql.org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Debugging Postgres?

You could also try logging in via psql on the database host itself, to ensure it is not a network issue.

Regards,

Jayadevan

On Wed, Aug 14, 2013 at 2:21 AM, Barth Weishoff <bweishoff@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello

   I'm having an interesting issue with PGSQL.   It seems that I'm experiencing timeouts at various times.   The servers are not busy and have plenty of resources.  The databases are ~50GB in size, the systems typically have 8-12GB physical RAM, and the connections are low (less than 15 at any given time).

The issue I'm seeing is that randomly I'm getting these pauses, or stalls, while trying to simply connect to the database server(s) from connected clients using the psql command line client.  I cannot tell if the server is even getting the request for service as they don't seem to show up in the logs at the time the event is occurring, so I'm thinking it's maybe a client-side issue.

Is there a good general starting place for debugging these types of issues ?

-B.