RE: Unique indexes on system tables - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Hiroshi Inoue
Subject RE: Unique indexes on system tables
Date
List pgsql-hackers

No.
It should be done to guarantee the uniqueness of system tuples.

> I see you have done some of them
> already.  I talked to Tom Lane, and he thinks that it will not cause
> problems because unique insertions/updates wait for transactions to
> commit before doing a conflicting change to the index, right?

Yes.
> Second, I want to add more system indexes to match all caches.  Anything
> that could cause problems there?

I am only afraid of index corruption.
The more we have system indexes,the more index corruption would happen.

How could we recover from the state ?
Tom suggested rebuilding indexes in vacuum.
According to Jan,there was a utility called reindexdb.
WAL by Vadim may be able to recover indexes completely in case of crash.

> Are you working on any of this?

No.

Regards.

Hiroshi Inoue