Functionally dependent columns in SELECT DISTINCT

From
Willow Chargin
Date:
Hello! Postgres lets us omit columns from a GROUP BY clause if they are
functionally dependent on a grouped key, which is a nice quality-of-life
feature. I'm wondering if a similar relaxation could be permitted for
the SELECT DISTINCT list?

I have a query where I want to find the most recent few items from a
table that match some complex condition, where the condition involves
joining other tables. Here's an example, with two approaches:

    -- Store some data: an "item" has one or more "parts".
    CREATE TABLE items(id int PRIMARY KEY, create_time timestamptz);
    CREATE TABLE parts(part_id int PRIMARY KEY, item_id int);
    INSERT INTO items(id, create_time)
        SELECT i, now() - make_interval(secs => i)
        FROM generate_series(1, 1000000) s(i);
    INSERT INTO parts(item_id, part_id)
        SELECT items.id, 2 * items.id + delta
        FROM items, (VALUES(0), (1)) delta(delta);
    CREATE INDEX ON items(create_time DESC);
    CREATE INDEX ON parts(item_id);
    ANALYZE items, parts;

    -- Suppose we want to find the most recent few items with a part
    -- whose part ID is threeven. Two approaches:

    -- SELECT DISTINCT: fast, but superfluous column:
    EXPLAIN ANALYZE
        SELECT DISTINCT items.id, create_time
        FROM items JOIN parts ON items.id = parts.item_id
        WHERE part_id % 3 = 0
        ORDER BY create_time DESC
        LIMIT 5;
    -- 4ms:
    --   parallel index scan on items_create_time_idx
    --   -> nested loop index scan parts_item_id_idx
    --   -> incremental sort -> gather merge -> unique -> limit

    -- GROUP BY: slow, but functional dependency recognized:
    EXPLAIN ANALYZE
        SELECT items.id
        FROM items JOIN parts ON items.id = parts.item_id
        WHERE part_id % 3 = 0
        GROUP BY items.id
        ORDER BY create_time DESC
        LIMIT 5;
    -- 400ms:
    --   parallel seq scan on parts
    --   -> parallel hash join on item_id via seq scan on items
    --   -> sort -> group -> gather merge -> group -> sort -> limit

These timings are Postgres 14.5 on a Linux i7-1165G7. With Postgres 16.3
on an Apple M3 Pro, the shape is the same: the GROUP BY is about 300ms,
and the SELECT DISTINCT is way faster still, at 0.07ms. (It declines to
parallelize, which seems to help.)

I want to use the faster approach, and it works without issue so far.
But that extra column in the SELECT list is a bit inconvenient.

My questions are:

  - Do I understand right that these kinds of queries are equivalent?

  - If so, does the SQL standard permit Postgres to recognize functional
    dependency in this case, so that users may omit the order column
    column from the `SELECT DISTINCT` list? (I don't have a copy of the
    standard to check myself.)

  - Might future versions of Postgres allow this?

thanks!
~Willow

Re: Functionally dependent columns in SELECT DISTINCT

From
shammat@gmx.net
Date:
Willow Chargin schrieb am 13.09.2024 um 07:20:
> Hello! Postgres lets us omit columns from a GROUP BY clause if they are
> functionally dependent on a grouped key, which is a nice quality-of-life
> feature. I'm wondering if a similar relaxation could be permitted for
> the SELECT DISTINCT list?
>
> I have a query where I want to find the most recent few items from a
> table that match some complex condition, where the condition involves
> joining other tables. Here's an example, with two approaches:

What about using DISTINCT ON () ?
    SELECT DISTINCT ON (items.id) items.*
    FROM items
      JOIN parts ON items.id = parts.item_id
    WHERE part_id % 3 = 0
    ORDER BY items.id,items.create_time DESC
    LIMIT 5;

This gives me this plan: https://explain.depesz.com/s/QHr6 on 16.2  (Windows, i7-1260P)

Date:
On Thu, Sep 12, 2024 at 11:13 PM <shammat@gmx.net> wrote:

> What about using DISTINCT ON () ?
>     SELECT DISTINCT ON (items.id) items.*
>     FROM items
>       JOIN parts ON items.id = parts.item_id
>     WHERE part_id % 3 = 0
>     ORDER BY items.id,items.create_time DESC
>     LIMIT 5;
>
> This gives me this plan: https://explain.depesz.com/s/QHr6 on 16.2  (Windows, i7-1260P)

Ordering by items.id changes the answer, though. In the example I gave,
items.id and items.create_time happened to be in the same order, but
that needn't hold. In reality I really do want the ID columns of the
*most recent* items.

You can see the difference if you build the test dataset a bit
differently:

    INSERT INTO items(id, create_time)
        SELECT i, now() - make_interval(secs => random() * 1e6)
        FROM generate_series(1, 1000000) s(i);

We want the returned create_times to be all recent, and the IDs now
should look roughly random.

Re: Functionally dependent columns in SELECT DISTINCT

From
"David G. Johnston"
Date: