Re: Has gen_random_uuid() gotten much slower in v17?

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
On 10.09.24 15:58, David Mullineux wrote:
> I'm getting a bit concerned by the slow performance of generating uidds
> on latest dev code versus older versions. Here I compare the time to
> generate 50k random uuids. Both son the same machine.
> I must be missing something.

Are you sure that the 18devel installation isn't compiled with
assertions enabled?

The underlying code for gen_random_uuid() is virtually unchanged between
PG14 and current.

Re: Has gen_random_uuid() gotten much slower in v17?

From
David Mullineux
Date:
Good idea. Thanks.    I did check. It's not enabled by default but just in case I did another build. This time explicitly defining --disable-debug and --disable-cassert. And I tested. Still slower than old versions.

This feels like a build configuration problem. Just can't put my finger on it yet.