Remove old RULE privilege completely

From
Fujii Masao
Date:
Hi,

In v8.2, the RULE privilege for tables was removed, but for backward compatibility,
GRANT/REVOKE RULE, has_table_privilege(..., 'RULE') etc are still accepted,
though they don't perform any actions.

Do we still need to maintain this backward compatibility?
Could we consider removing the RULE privilege entirely?

Fujii Masao
Advanced Computing Technology Center
Research and Development Headquarters
NTT DATA CORPORATION

Re: Remove old RULE privilege completely

From
Robert Haas
Date:
On Mon, Sep 9, 2024 at 10:37 AM Fujii Masao <masao.fujii@oss.nttdata.com> wrote:
> In v8.2, the RULE privilege for tables was removed, but for backward compatibility,
> GRANT/REVOKE RULE, has_table_privilege(..., 'RULE') etc are still accepted,
> though they don't perform any actions.
>
> Do we still need to maintain this backward compatibility?
> Could we consider removing the RULE privilege entirely?

8.2 is a long time ago. If it's really been dead since then, I think
we should remove it.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com

Re: Remove old RULE privilege completely

From
Nathan Bossart
Date:
On Tue, Sep 10, 2024 at 02:45:37AM +0900, Fujii Masao wrote:
> On 2024/09/10 1:02, Robert Haas wrote:
>> On Mon, Sep 9, 2024 at 10:37 AM Fujii Masao <masao.fujii@oss.nttdata.com> wrote:
>> > In v8.2, the RULE privilege for tables was removed, but for backward compatibility,
>> > GRANT/REVOKE RULE, has_table_privilege(..., 'RULE') etc are still accepted,
>> > though they don't perform any actions.
>> >
>> > Do we still need to maintain this backward compatibility?
>> > Could we consider removing the RULE privilege entirely?
>>
>> 8.2 is a long time ago. If it's really been dead since then, I think
>> we should remove it.

+1.  It seems more likely to cause confusion at this point.

> Ok, so, patch attached.
>
> There was a test to check if has_table_privilege() accepted the keyword RULE.
> The patch removed it since it's now unnecessary and would only waste cycles
> testing that has_table_privilege() no longer accepts the keyword.

LGTM

--
nathan

On 2024/09/10 4:49, Nathan Bossart wrote:
>> Ok, so, patch attached.
>>
>> There was a test to check if has_table_privilege() accepted the keyword RULE.
>> The patch removed it since it's now unnecessary and would only waste cycles
>> testing that has_table_privilege() no longer accepts the keyword.
>
> LGTM

Thanks for the review! Barring any objections, I'll commit the patch.