Disallow USING clause when altering type of generated column

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
A USING clause when altering the type of a generated column does not
make sense.  It would write the output of the USING clause into the
converted column, which would violate the generation  expression.

This patch adds a check to error out if this is specified.

There was a test for this, but that test errored out for a different
reason, so it was not effective.

discovered by Jian He at [0]

[0]:
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CACJufxEGPYtFe79hbsMeOBOivfNnPRsw7Gjvk67m1x2MQggyiQ@mail.gmail.com

Re: Disallow USING clause when altering type of generated column

From
Yugo Nagata
Date:
On Wed, 21 Aug 2024 08:17:45 +0200
Peter Eisentraut <peter@eisentraut.org> wrote:

> A USING clause when altering the type of a generated column does not
> make sense.  It would write the output of the USING clause into the
> converted column, which would violate the generation  expression.
>
> This patch adds a check to error out if this is specified.

I’m afraid you forgot to attach the patch.
It seems for me that this fix is reasonable though.

Regards,
Yugo Nagata

--
Yugo Nagata <nagata@sraoss.co.jp>