BUG #18563: Where is tha "FIRST" aggregate function??

From
PG Bug reporting form
Date:

Bug reference:      18563
Logged by:          Iuri Tomazini
Email address:      iuritomazini.dev@gmail.com
PostgreSQL version: 16.0
Operating system:   pgAdmin 4

PostagrSQL do not have a "FIRST" aggraregate function and it is a huge
mistake. All other good database has this and some of them are automatic,
such as MySQL. Take a fast search and discover that this kind of topic is
commonly find in internet (example: stackoverflow site). I am migrating for
other database, bacause of the dificulty to get a similar resource to
substitute the "FIRST" in PostgreSQL and I hope you can recognize this bad
error and implement something to suppply this lack. Good bye!

Re: BUG #18563: Where is tha "FIRST" aggregate function??

From
Christophe Pettus

> On Aug 1, 2024, at 09:25, PG Bug reporting form <noreply@postgresql.org> wrote:
> I am migrating for
> other database, bacause of the dificulty to get a similar resource to
> substitute the "FIRST" in PostgreSQL and I hope you can recognize this bad
> error and implement something to suppply this lack. Good bye!

It's trivial to implement in PostgreSQL:

    https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/First/last_(aggregate)

Re: BUG #18563: Where is tha "FIRST" aggregate function??

Date:
Christophe Pettus <xof@thebuild.com> writes:
>> On Aug 1, 2024, at 09:25, PG Bug reporting form <noreply@postgresql.org> wrote:
>> I am migrating for
>> other database, bacause of the dificulty to get a similar resource to
>> substitute the "FIRST" in PostgreSQL and I hope you can recognize this bad
>> error and implement something to suppply this lack. Good bye!

> It's trivial to implement in PostgreSQL:
>     https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/First/last_(aggregate)

The built-in (since v16) "any_value()" aggregate is actually just like
what that page shows for "first()".  The name is chosen to reflect the
fact that the aggregate itself isn't promising anything: you have to
use it in the correct way to get useful behavior.

            regards, tom lane