pg_attribute.atttypmod for interval type

From
Greg Rychlewski
Date:
Hi,

I work on a driver for Postgres that utilizes the extended query protocol and have a question about the row description message for interval types.

I am trying to use the type modifier value from the message to determine the precision of the interval. This is something I can do for timestamp types because the type modifier in the message is equal to the precision (or -1 if not specified).

For interval types it seems like the type modifier is related to the precision but the values are not equal. Using Postgres 13.10 I see the following values for pg_attribute.attttypmod when creating columns of type interval(1), interval(2), ..., interval(6)

 2147418113

 2147418114

 2147418115

 2147418116

 2147418117

 2147418118

I can see the value goes up by 1 each time the precision is increased, but I'm not sure how to interpret the fact that it starts at  2147418113 instead of 1.

My question is: how are the values meant to be interpreted for interval types? Thanks very much for your help.

Re: pg_attribute.atttypmod for interval type

Date:
Greg Rychlewski <greg.rychlewski@gmail.com> writes:
> My question is: how are the values meant to be interpreted for interval
> types? Thanks very much for your help.

Interval typmods include a fractional-seconds-precision field as well
as a bitmask indicating the allowed interval fields (per the SQL
standard's weird syntax such as INTERVAL DAY TO SECOND).  Looking at
the source code for intervaltypmodout() might be helpful:

https://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git;a=blob;f=src/backend/utils/adt/timestamp.c;h=69fe7860ede062fc8be42e7545b35e69c3e068c4;hb=HEAD#l1136

The referenced macros are mostly in utils/timestamp.h and
utils/datetime.h.

            regards, tom lane

Re: pg_attribute.atttypmod for interval type

From
Chapman Flack
Date:
On 07/27/24 00:32, Tom Lane wrote:
> Interval typmods include a fractional-seconds-precision field as well
> as a bitmask indicating the allowed interval fields (per the SQL
> standard's weird syntax such as INTERVAL DAY TO SECOND).  Looking at
> the source code for intervaltypmodout() might be helpful:

https://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git;a=blob;f=src/backend/utils/adt/timestamp.c;h=69fe7860ede062fc8be42e7545b35e69c3e068c4;hb=HEAD#l1136

Also, for this kind of question, an overview of a type modifier's
contents can be found in the javadoc for the WIP PL/Java 1.7, which is
intended to model such things accurately.[0]

The model is aimed at the logical level, that is, to represent
what information is present in the typmod, the precise semantics, what
combinations are allowed/disallowed, and so on, but not the way PostgreSQL
physically packs the bits. So, for this case, what you would find there
is essentially what Tom already said, about what's logically present; it
doesn't save you the effort of looking in the PostgreSQL source if you want
to independently implement unpacking the bits.

For possible future typmod questions, it may serve as a quick way to
get that kind of logical-level description at moments when Tom is away
from the keyboard.

Regards,
-Chap

[0]

https://tada.github.io/pljava/preview1.7/pljava-api/apidocs/org.postgresql.pljava/org/postgresql/pljava/adt/Timespan.Interval.Modifier.html

I just noticed a nit in that javadoc: it says the field combination
must be "one of the named constants in this interface" but you don't
find them in the Interval.Modifier interface; they're in the containing
interface Interval itself.