PostGIS files for PG17-b2

From
Greg Smith
Date:
I'm trying to run performance tests for the PG17-b2 release, but like b1 I don't find the PostGIS files there to complete my test suite,  Normally I'd use:

sudo apt install postgresql-17-postgis-3 postgresql-17-postgis-3-scripts

But I don't see any of that available yet for 24.04 Noble Numbat.  Is that normal?  Should I get those from somewhere else?  I know this package repo normally supplies them for the final release.

P.S.:  there is a cat bump for 17b2 and you give out pg_upgrade instructions that correctly move the cluster to the new version.  Works great.  However, the final cleanup step recommended doesn't work:

postgres@rising:~/pgbench-tools$ rm -rf /var/tmp/postgresql-17-202405161
rm: cannot remove '/var/tmp/postgresql-17-202405161/bin/pg_resetwal': Permission denied
rm: cannot remove '/var/tmp/postgresql-17-202405161/bin/pg_walsummary': Permission denied
rm: cannot remove '/var/tmp/postgresql-17-202405161/lib/plpgsql.so': Permission denied

I needed an account with sudo to wipe that directory out:
sudo rm -rf /var/tmp/postgresql-17-202405161

Not sure how you want to deal with this, seems like a rough edge that should be polished before release.

--
Greg Smith  greg.smith@crunchydata.com
Director of Open Source Strategy

Re: PostGIS files for PG17-b2

From
Christoph Berg
Re: Greg Smith
> But I don't see any of that available yet for 24.04 Noble Numbat.  Is that
> normal?  Should I get those from somewhere else?  I know this package repo
> normally supplies them for the final release.

Hi,

PostGIS doesn't work with 17 yet:

https://pgdgbuild.dus.dg-i.net/job/postgis-binaries-beta/93/architecture=amd64,distribution=sid/console

Once that is fixed, there will be packages for PG 17. Overall status
is visible there:

https://pgdgbuild.dus.dg-i.net/view/Binaries-Beta/

> P.S.:  there is a cat bump for 17b2 and you give out pg_upgrade
> instructions that correctly move the cluster to the new version.  Works
> great.  However, the final cleanup step recommended doesn't work:
>
> postgres@rising:~/pgbench-tools$ rm -rf /var/tmp/postgresql-17-202405161
> rm: cannot remove '/var/tmp/postgresql-17-202405161/bin/pg_resetwal':
> Permission denied

Hmm. I had thought that the other steps would already require root,
but pg_upgradecluster and friends do mostly work without. I'm unsure
if I want to prefix every command with "sudo" since the instructions
look scary enough already.

Christoph

Re: PostGIS files for PG17-b2

From
Greg Smith
Date:
On Mon, Jul 1, 2024 at 12:16 PM Christoph Berg <myon@debian.org> wrote:
> postgres@rising:~/pgbench-tools$ rm -rf /var/tmp/postgresql-17-202405161
> rm: cannot remove '/var/tmp/postgresql-17-202405161/bin/pg_resetwal':
> Permission denied

Hmm. I had thought that the other steps would already require root,
but pg_upgradecluster and friends do mostly work without. I'm unsure
if I want to prefix every command with "sudo" since the instructions
look scary enough already.

I was able to do all the other upgrade steps as the postgres user.   If the temporary binaries were installed in the postgres user's home directory instead, the whole thing might be possible to do as postgres.  Not sure what the downsides would be to relocating that block of binaries.  It's really not an important problem to solve, since the catversion bump in the middle of release tweaking is a development only part of upgrading,   Anyone running into this should be capable of sorting out when they need sudo.  Just passing along the feedback.

Thanks for answering the PostGIS question, I will move onto other tests while waiting for that to resolve.

Re: PostGIS files for PG17-b2

From
Christoph Berg
Re: Greg Smith
> I was able to do all the other upgrade steps as the postgres user.   If the
> temporary binaries were installed in the postgres user's home directory
> instead, the whole thing might be possible to do as postgres.

The fix I applied is similar: just chown the /var/tmp/postgresql-*
directory to postgres.

https://salsa.debian.org/postgresql/postgresql-common/-/commit/f8061293088292fb5a08d49cd364a298bf15e1a9

Thanks,
Christoph