Bug reference:      18513
Logged by:          Muralikrishna Bandaru
Email address:      muralikrishna.bandaru@enterprisedb.com
PostgreSQL version: 17beta1
Operating system:   Windows

PG17 build on windows is generating postgres.exe.lib. But all the previous
versions generating postgres.lib file. Due to this renaming the extensions
fail to link with this library by default as they expect postgres.lib. For
example here is the link for system_stats project file
https://github.com/EnterpriseDB/system_stats/blob/master/system_stats.vcxproj#L101

This seems like a bug, Can some one please confirm?

On 17.06.24 07:44, PG Bug reporting form wrote:

> Bug reference:      18513
> Logged by:          Muralikrishna Bandaru
> Email address:      muralikrishna.bandaru@enterprisedb.com
> PostgreSQL version: 17beta1
> Operating system:   Windows
>
> PG17 build on windows is generating postgres.exe.lib. But all the previous
> versions generating postgres.lib file. Due to this renaming the extensions
> fail to link with this library by default as they expect postgres.lib. For
> example here is the link for system_stats project file
> https://github.com/EnterpriseDB/system_stats/blob/master/system_stats.vcxproj#L101
>
> This seems like a bug, Can some one please confirm?

The attached patch might fix it.  At least I appear to get the right
output file name.  I don't have the ability to check whether it does the
right thing on Cygwin.

Attachment

On Tue, Jun 18, 2024 at 11:55 AM Peter Eisentraut <peter@eisentraut.org> wrote:
On 17.06.24 07:44, PG Bug reporting form wrote:

> Bug reference:      18513
> Logged by:          Muralikrishna Bandaru
> Email address:      muralikrishna.bandaru@enterprisedb.com
> PostgreSQL version: 17beta1
> Operating system:   Windows
>
> PG17 build on windows is generating postgres.exe.lib. But all the previous
> versions generating postgres.lib file. Due to this renaming the extensions
> fail to link with this library by default as they expect postgres.lib. For
> example here is the link for system_stats project file
> https://github.com/EnterpriseDB/system_stats/blob/master/system_stats.vcxproj#L101
>
> This seems like a bug, Can some one please confirm?

The attached patch might fix it.  At least I appear to get the right
output file name.  I don't have the ability to check whether it does the
right thing on Cygwin.

 Hi Peter,
 This patch worked for me. Now postgres.lib is created instead of postgres.exe.lib. Once you
 push this patch to the source repo then I will try to build the extension (system_stats).

On 18.06.24 13:32, Muralikrishna Bandaru wrote:
>     The attached patch might fix it.  At least I appear to get the right
>     output file name.  I don't have the ability to check whether it does
>     the
>     right thing on Cygwin.
>
>   Hi Peter,
>   This patch worked for me. Now postgres.lib is created instead of
> postgres.exe.lib. Once you
>   push this patch to the source repo then I will try to build the
> extension (system_stats).

committed