Minor update on pg_hba documentation

From
SAS

I wonder if there is an extra word that should be suppressed on the PG 16 client-auth.sgml file.

In the example for the regex on database name, the TYPE is "local" and contains the word "localhost" for ADDRESS. Shouldn't it be omitted ?

Best regards,

--
Dr Stéphane Schildknecht
Contact régional PostgreSQL pour l'Europe francophone

Attachment

Re: Minor update on pg_hba documentation

From
"David G. Johnston"
Date:
In the example for the regex on database name, the TYPE is "local" and contains the word "localhost" for ADDRESS. Shouldn't it be omitted ?

I'd suggest changing local to host and leave the address alone.  Having a local example at that spot seems odd since everything around it is host and the text ties them together.

David J.

Re: Minor update on pg_hba documentation

From
Michael Paquier
Date:
On Tue, Jun 04, 2024 at 08:30:30PM -0700, David G. Johnston wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 4, 2024 at 8:22 AM SAS <sas.postgresql@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > In the example for the regex on database name, the TYPE is "local" and
> > contains the word "localhost" for ADDRESS. Shouldn't it be omitted ?
> >
> I'd suggest changing local to host and leave the address alone.  Having a
> local example at that spot seems odd since everything around it is host and
> the text ties them together.

My fault on this one.  My intention was likely to use "host".  I'll go
fix it this way.  Nice catch.
--
Michael

Date:
On Wed, Jun 05, 2024 at 03:33:02PM +0900, Michael Paquier wrote:
> My fault on this one.  My intention was likely to use "host".  I'll go
> fix it this way.  Nice catch.

On top of using David's suggestion, I have also tweaked the format of
this HBA entry to make it aligned with the rest.
--
Michael

Attachment