Where to learn PostgreSQL for free?

From
Edwin UY
Date:
Hi,

I need to learn PostgreSQL and some other new skills, worried about finding a new job sort of.
Budget wise, I don't have the means to do so, especially financially.

Does anyone know of any site that is offering free resources to learn PostgreSQL, install, scripting, backup and recovery.
I had AWS Free Tier before but that was hacked so I was a bit worried about going back. Also, I will want to do some install exercise, not sure if that is something that is possible with AWS as they are pre-build, isn't it?

I am sure performance tuning will take a lifetime to learn.

Regards,
Edwin

Re: Where to learn PostgreSQL for free?

From
Kashif Zeeshan
Date:
Hi

There alot of resource available, I have shared some links as well, you can also watch videos on Youtube.

For practice you can use Oracle Virtual Box and use Linux VM or you can use any online available cloud lab environments.

Regards
Kashif Zeeshan
Bitnine Global

I need to learn PostgreSQL and some other new skills, worried about finding a new job sort of.
Budget wise, I don't have the means to do so, especially financially.

Does anyone know of any site that is offering free resources to learn PostgreSQL, install, scripting, backup and recovery.
I had AWS Free Tier before but that was hacked so I was a bit worried about going back. Also, I will want to do some install exercise, not sure if that is something that is possible with AWS as they are pre-build, isn't it?

I am sure performance tuning will take a lifetime to learn.

Regards,
Edwin

Re: Where to learn PostgreSQL for free?

From
Gabriel Guillem Barceló Soteras

You would ‘only’ need Virtual Box or VMWare Workstation Pro (now it’s free). Test virtual Machine do not need a lot of resources. E.G. 1 core and 1GB of RAM is ok. Then your friend will be PostgreSQL docs, and some tutorials you can find.

I need to learn PostgreSQL and some other new skills, worried about finding a new job sort of.

Budget wise, I don't have the means to do so, especially financially.

Does anyone know of any site that is offering free resources to learn PostgreSQL, install, scripting, backup and recovery.

I had AWS Free Tier before but that was hacked so I was a bit worried about going back. Also, I will want to do some install exercise, not sure if that is something that is possible with AWS as they are pre-build, isn't it?

I am sure performance tuning will take a lifetime to learn.

Regards,

Edwin

Re: Where to learn PostgreSQL for free?

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
On 2024-May-16, Edwin UY wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I need to learn PostgreSQL and some other new skills, worried about finding
> a new job sort of.
> Budget wise, I don't have the means to do so, especially financially.
>
> Does anyone know of any site that is offering free resources to learn
> PostgreSQL, install, scripting, backup and recovery.

There are tons of videos from conferences and meetups; if you start at
https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Category:PostgreSQL_Events
and follow the links, you'll likely find plenty of useful material.

It's sad that the conferences this decade have stopped posted their
stuff to the wiki, at least a single page with a talk listing.  You can
of course visit each conference site, but that's tedious ...

"Cada quien es cada cual y baja las escaleras como quiere" (JMSerrat)

Re: Where to learn PostgreSQL for free?

From
Peter Gram
Date:
Hi Edwin

There is the manual https://www.postgresql.org/docs/16/index.html and together with https://edu.postgrespro.com/postgresql_internals-14_en.pdf you get well educated  :-)

Med venlig hilsen

Peter Gram
Sæbyholmsvej 18
2500 Valby

Mobile: (+45) 5374 7107

I need to learn PostgreSQL and some other new skills, worried about finding a new job sort of.
Budget wise, I don't have the means to do so, especially financially.

Does anyone know of any site that is offering free resources to learn PostgreSQL, install, scripting, backup and recovery.
I had AWS Free Tier before but that was hacked so I was a bit worried about going back. Also, I will want to do some install exercise, not sure if that is something that is possible with AWS as they are pre-build, isn't it?

I am sure performance tuning will take a lifetime to learn.

Regards,
Edwin

Re: Where to learn PostgreSQL for free?

From
hubert depesz lubaczewski
Date:
On Thu, May 16, 2024 at 06:21:59PM +1200, Edwin UY wrote:
> Does anyone know of any site that is offering free resources to learn
> PostgreSQL, install, scripting, backup and recovery.

1. Install pg on your computer. It's free, and you can do whatever you
   want to/with it.
2. Read manual: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/tutorial.html
3. Join IRC/Slack/Discord and ask for clarification if something isn't
   clear.

Best regards,

depesz

Re: Where to learn PostgreSQL for free?

From
S Hoffman
Date:
Good morning, Edwin,

I understand your concerns about security, especially with your previous experience on the AWS Free Tier. It’s
essentialto approach this with a strategy that enhances security while using AWS or any other cloud service. Here are a
fewsteps to help you safeguard your environment:

    1.    Strong Access Controls: Always use strong, unique passwords for your AWS account and databases. Implement
Multi-FactorAuthentication (MFA) to add an extra layer of security.
    2.    Minimal Privilege Principle: Assign the least privilege necessary to your AWS roles and permissions. This
limitspotential damage if an account is compromised.
    3.    Security Groups and Network ACLs: Configure these to control inbound and outbound traffic to your instances
strictly.This helps prevent unauthorized access.
    4.    Regular Monitoring and Audits: Use AWS CloudTrail and other monitoring tools to keep track of activities and
detectunusual access patterns or potential security threats.
    5.    Data Encryption: Use AWS’s built-in tools to encrypt your data at rest and in transit. This ensures that your
datais secure, even if intercepted.

Regarding your interest in installation exercises, while AWS does offer pre-built options, you can also configure
customPostgreSQL installations on EC2 instances. This allows you to practice installation, configuration, and
managementas if you were handling a server in your own data center.

I hope these tips help you feel more confident in using cloud environments securely. Wishing you the best in your
learningjourney!

Best regards,
Sondra

Sent from my iPhone