AWS RDS postgresql upgrade from 14 to 15

From
"alexander al (leiden)"
Date:
Hi,

Because gitlab next major upgrade needs a newer version of postgresql
we have to upgrade it.

What we have:

postgres=> select version();
                                                   version

 PostgreSQL 14.6 on aarch64-unknown-linux-gnu, compiled by gcc (GCC)
7.3.1 20180712 (Red Hat 7.3.1-6), 64-bit
(1 row)

and

                                     List of installed extensions
    Name    | Version
|   Schema   |                            Description

------------+---------+------------+-----------------------------------
--------------------------------
 btree_gist | 1.6     | public     | support for indexing common
datatypes in GiST
 pg_trgm    | 1.6     | public     | text similarity measurement and
index searching based on trigrams
 plpgsql    | 1.0     | pg_catalog | PL/pgSQL procedural language
(3 rows)

now normally I would probably do 'upgrade' in the aws-console but on
aws rds PG 15 has a newer btree_gist version (1.7)

Are there any caveats concerning those extensions?

best regards,

Alexander.

Re: AWS RDS postgresql upgrade from 14 to 15

From
Laurenz Albe
Date:
On Tue, 2024-04-30 at 10:04 +0200, alexander al (leiden) wrote:
> ecause gitlab next major upgrade needs a newer version of postgresql
> we have to upgrade it.
>
> now normally I would probably do 'upgrade' in the aws-console but on
> aws rds PG 15 has a newer btree_gist version (1.7)
>
> Are there any caveats concerning those extensions?

That should be no problem.  If the upgrade leaves the extension at
its old version, you can update it to the latest version.

At this time, I wouldn't upgrade to v15, but to v16.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe