BUG #18012: Installer fails to run .bat files when they are registered to Notepad++

From
PG Bug reporting form
Date:

Bug reference:      18012
Logged by:          Matt Feemster
Email address:      matt.feemster@gmail.com
PostgreSQL version: 15.3
Operating system:   Windows 10 Pro

When running the installer it proceeds until just about the end, then hangs
indefinitely trying to initialize the database.
I noticed that when this happened, Notepad++ would open two .bat temporary
batch files.
I realized that the .bat file extension was registered to be opened with
Notepad++, which caused the scripts not to be run, but rather just opened as
text.
Once I de-registered Notepad++ as the default program for .bat files, the
installer completed successfully.

I think you may need to explicitly use cmd.exe to run the .bat files, rather
than just "opening" them.

Hi Matt,

Thanks for reporting the issue and for the analysis. We will look further and try to address this issue. Thank you

--
Sandeep Thakkar

Hi Matt,
We addressed this issue in our recently released installer with package revision no.3 (postgresql-15.3-3-windows-x64.exe).
 --
Thanks & Regards
Manika Singhal

Thanks for reporting the issue and for the analysis. We will look further and try to address this issue. Thank you

When running the installer it proceeds until just about the end, then hangs
indefinitely trying to initialize the database.
I noticed that when this happened, Notepad++ would open two .bat temporary
batch files.
I realized that the .bat file extension was registered to be opened with
Notepad++, which caused the scripts not to be run, but rather just opened as
text.
Once I de-registered Notepad++ as the default program for .bat files, the
installer completed successfully.

I think you may need to explicitly use cmd.exe to run the .bat files, rather
than just "opening" them.

--
Sandeep Thakkar

Thank you. I downloaded the new installer, set Notepad++ as the default handler for .bat files, and ran the installer successfully to completion. So you can close this ticket.