streaming replication depends on matching glibc versions / LOCALE sort order

From
PG Doc comments form
Date:

Page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/15/warm-standby.html

After suffering a database corruption, I went looking for mention of the
cause or "prevention tips" in the official docs.

tldr; The following section might make a great place to mention the
dependency on identical glibc versions:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/15/warm-standby.html#STANDBY-PLANNING

There is information in a blog post:

https://postgresql.verite.pro/blog/2018/08/27/glibc-upgrade.html

and some in the wiki:

https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Locale_data_changes

and some talk on the postgresql developer mailing list such as "I have been
expecting to hear about such breakage, and am
surprised we hear about it so rarely."

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/BA6132ED-1F6B-4A0B-AC22-81278F5AB81E%40tripadvisor.com

In Slack, it seems clear that this is a "well known issue" to some people on
the project, but it continues to burn people in the wild.

This seems important enough that it should be included in the official
docs.

Can I do anything to help get the documentation updated?

On 6/14/23 11:36, PG Doc comments form wrote:
> In Slack, it seems clear that this is a "well known issue" to some people on
> the project, but it continues to burn people in the wild.
>
> This seems important enough that it should be included in the official
> docs.
>
> Can I do anything to help get the documentation updated?

Absolutely! If you can suggest which doc sections should be altered and
proposed wording, that would be a great start.

Bonus points if you send it in as a patch against the corresponding sgml
files.

Note, I recently gave a talk on the subject -- feel free to get
examples, etc from the slides:

https://www.joeconway.com/presentations/glibc_issues-PGCon-2023.pdf

I can also help with wordsmithing and committing the changes once we
have them fully baked.

--
Joe Conway
PostgreSQL Contributors Team

I am interested in doing this but not sure when I will have time.

- Dan Stoner

On Fri, Jun 23, 2023 at 8:28 AM Joe Conway <mail@joeconway.com> wrote:

> On 6/14/23 11:36, PG Doc comments form wrote:
> > In Slack, it seems clear that this is a "well known issue" to some people on
> > the project, but it continues to burn people in the wild.
> >
> > This seems important enough that it should be included in the official
> > docs.
> >
> > Can I do anything to help get the documentation updated?
>
> Absolutely! If you can suggest which doc sections should be altered and
> proposed wording, that would be a great start.
>
> Bonus points if you send it in as a patch against the corresponding sgml
> files.
>
> Note, I recently gave a talk on the subject -- feel free to get
> examples, etc from the slides:
>
> https://www.joeconway.com/presentations/glibc_issues-PGCon-2023.pdf
>
> I can also help with wordsmithing and committing the changes once we
> have them fully baked.
>
> --
> Joe Conway
> PostgreSQL Contributors Team
> RDS Open Source Databases
> Amazon Web Services: https://aws.amazon.com

I'm circling back around to this.

I've cloned the postgresql git repo and started looking thru
doc/src/sgml directory, looking thru the developer FAQ on the wiki,
etc.

For documentation updates such as this, where would I submit the
patch(es)?  Is the process the same as other code commits?

https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Submitting_a_Patch

Thanks,

- Dan Stoner

On 8/8/23 15:05, Dan Stoner wrote:
> I'm circling back around to this.
>
> I've cloned the postgresql git repo and started looking thru
> doc/src/sgml directory, looking thru the developer FAQ on the wiki,
> etc.
>
> For documentation updates such as this, where would I submit the
> patch(es)?  Is the process the same as other code commits?
>
> https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Submitting_a_Patch

Yes. Basically send a patch
(https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Creating_Clean_Patches) with your
changes to the list and register the patch for the next "Open" commitfest:

https://commitfest.postgresql.org/

Currently:

   2023-09 (Open - 2023-09-01 - 2023-09-30)

"Open" means it is open for submission of patches to be considered, and
the dates (all of September) are the beginning and end of the commitfest
during which the patch would be reviewed, discussed, and hopefully
committed. Once the Commitfest is started (2023-09-01) it is no longer
Open for new submissions (I forget the exact state name, but it is
In-progress or something similar)

--
Joe Conway
PostgreSQL Contributors Team
RDS Open Source Databases

Re: streaming replication depends on matching glibc versions / LOCALE sort order

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
On 08.08.23 21:05, Dan Stoner wrote:
> I'm circling back around to this.
>
> I've cloned the postgresql git repo and started looking thru
> doc/src/sgml directory, looking thru the developer FAQ on the wiki,
> etc.

Great!

> For documentation updates such as this, where would I submit the
> patch(es)?  Is the process the same as other code commits?

Either to pgsql-hackers or to pgsql-docs.