Add information about command path and version of flex in meson output

From
Michael Paquier
Date:
Hi all,

While doing a few things on Windows with meson, I have noticed that,
while we output some information related to bison after a setup step,
there is nothing about flex.

I think that adding something about flex in the "Programs" section
would be pretty useful, particularly for Windows as the command used
could be "flex" as much as "win_flex.exe".

Attached is a patch to show the path to the flex command used, as well
as its version.

Opinions or thoughts?
--
Michael

Attachment

Re: Add information about command path and version of flex in meson output

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
On 11.04.23 07:58, Michael Paquier wrote:
> While doing a few things on Windows with meson, I have noticed that,
> while we output some information related to bison after a setup step,
> there is nothing about flex.
>
> I think that adding something about flex in the "Programs" section
> would be pretty useful, particularly for Windows as the command used
> could be "flex" as much as "win_flex.exe".

I think this would be useful.

 > +  flex_version = run_command(flex, '--version', check: true)
 > +  flex_version = flex_version.stdout().split(' ')[1].split('\n')[0]

Maybe this could be combined into one command?

Looks good otherwise.

Date:
On Mon, Jul 03, 2023 at 08:34:39AM +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Maybe this could be combined into one command?

On clarity ground, I am not sure that combining both is a good idea.
Perhaps the use of a different variable, like bison a few lines above,
makes things cleaner?

> Looks good otherwise.

Thanks for the review.
--

Date:
On 03.07.23 09:30, Michael Paquier wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 03, 2023 at 08:34:39AM +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>> Maybe this could be combined into one command?
>
> On clarity ground, I am not sure that combining both is a good idea.
> Perhaps the use of a different variable, like bison a few lines above,
> makes things cleaner?

Yes, if you want two separate lines, then doing it like bison makes sense.

Date:
On Mon, Jul 03, 2023 at 10:17:40AM +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Yes, if you want two separate lines, then doing it like bison makes sense.

Okay, I have applied v2 that uses two separate lines and two separate
variables, then, to be like bison.
--
Michael

Attachment