Quit currently running query

From
Albert Cornelius
Date:
How can I quit a currently running query? I've issued a query and my server does not respond anymore. Is there another solution than using kill -9?

Re: Quit currently running query

From
Ian Lawrence Barwick
Date:
2023年2月28日(火) 22:30 Albert Cornelius <albert1.cornelius@gmail.com>:

> How can I quit a currently running query? I've issued a query and my server does not respond anymore. Is there
anothersolution than using kill -9?

See here:

  https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/functions-admin.html#FUNCTIONS-ADMIN-SIGNAL

Regards

Ian Barwick

Re: Quit currently running query

From
Ron
Date:
On 2/28/23 04:53, Albert Cornelius wrote:
How can I quit a currently running query? I've issued a query and my server does not respond anymore. Is there another solution than using kill -9?

What specifically do you mean by "my server does not respond anymore"?  Because if "the server" really doesn't respond anymore, you can't even issue "kill -9".

I'd first try "select pg_cancel_backend(<pid>);".  If that doesn't work, try "select pg_terminate_backend(<pid>);", which is the Postgresql-aproved version of "kill -9".

--
Born in Arizona, moved to Babylonia.

Re: Quit currently running query

From