DISTINCT *and* ORDER BY in aggregate functions on expressions(!)

From
mirabilos
Date:
Hi,

I’ve got a… rather large query (see below), in which I join a complex
data structure (whose exact contents do not, at this point, matter)
together to get some auxiliary data to expose as JSON field.

In this query I can use, for example…

jsonb_build_object('user_permissions',
    jsonb_agg(DISTINCT ap.name ORDER BY ap.name))

… to get a distinct, sorted, list of “user permissions” from a table
ap which I joined to the user table which is the main subject of the
query. (For some reason I need to add DISTINCT because else duplica‐
tes are shown.)

Wrapping this as…

jsonb_build_object('user_permissions',
    COALESCE(
    jsonb_agg(DISTINCT ap.name ORDER BY ap.name)
    FILTER (WHERE ap.id IS NOT NULL)))

… gets me the JSON object’s value for the user_permissions set to
null if there’s nothing in the m:n intermediate table for the user
in question.

This works well. However, what I seem to be not allowed to do is
(without the extra COALESCE, to simplify):

jsonb_build_object('opening_times',
    jsonb_agg(DISTINCT jsonb_build_object(
    'weekday', cot.weekday,
    'from_hour', cot.from_hour,
    'to_hour', cot.to_hour)
    ORDER BY cot.weekday, cot.from_hour, cot.to_hour)
)

This is because, when I use DISTINCT (but only then‽), the ORDER BY
arguments must be… arguments to the function, or something. In the
above case, the sort key is ap.name which is also the argument to
the jsonb_agg function, so no problem there, but here, the jsonb_agg
argument is the return value of a function so… it has no name.

What I’m looking for is something like…

jsonb_build_object('opening_times',
    jsonb_agg(DISTINCT jsonb_build_object(
    'weekday', cot.weekday,
    'from_hour', cot.from_hour,
    'to_hour', cot.to_hour) AS jbo
    ORDER BY jbo->>'weekday', jbo->>'from_hour', jbo->>'to_hour')
)

… except I cannot define aliases in that place. Any other syntax
would also work.

The suggested solution for this is apparently to do…

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION core_openingtime_jsonb_sort(JSONB)
    RETURNS JSONB AS $$
SELECT jsonb_agg(e ORDER BY e->>'weekday', e->>'from_hour', e->>'to_hour')
    FROM jsonb_array_elements($1) AS e
$$ LANGUAGE SQL IMMUTABLE;

… and then query as…

jsonb_build_object('opening_times',
    core_openingtime_jsonb_sort(jsonb_agg(DISTINCT jsonb_build_object(
    'weekday', cot.weekday,
    'from_hour', cot.from_hour,
    'to_hour', cot.to_hour)))
)

… which involves internally subquerying for each output row (i.e.
row of the user table) times amount of sub-JSONArrays that need
to be sorted like this, which is currently 3.

All other solutions I can find involve subqueries in the first
place; I am somewhat proud I even managed to write this with
JOINs and without any subqueries in the first place so I’m
hesitant to go that route.

Any advice here?

And, somewhat related: when outputting JSONB, the order of
JSONObject elements is indeterminate, which is… okay, but
forcing sorted (ASCIIbetically, i.e. by codepoint order)
keys would be very very welcome, for reproducibility of
the output. (I’m sure the reproducible-builds project would
also love if this could be changed, or at least added, in a
way it can be enabled for queries, as session parameter
perhaps?)

The query in its current incarnanation is as follows:

-- -----BEGIN SQL-----
CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION core_openingtime_jsonb_sort(JSONB)
    RETURNS JSONB AS $$
SELECT jsonb_agg(e ORDER BY e->>'weekday', e->>'from_hour', e->>'to_hour')
    FROM jsonb_array_elements($1) AS e
$$ LANGUAGE SQL IMMUTABLE;

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION core_generalworkavailability_jsonb_sort(JSONB)
    RETURNS JSONB AS $$
SELECT jsonb_agg(e ORDER BY e->>'weekday', e->>'forenoon', e->>'afternoon', e->>'evening')
    FROM jsonb_array_elements($1) AS e
$$ LANGUAGE SQL IMMUTABLE;

COPY (SELECT cp.email, cp.first_name, cp.last_name, cp.street, cp.number,
    jsonb_build_object('groups', COALESCE(jsonb_agg(DISTINCT ag.name ORDER BY ag.name)
        FILTER (WHERE ag.id IS NOT NULL))) ||
    jsonb_build_object('help_operations', COALESCE(jsonb_agg(DISTINCT cho.name ORDER BY cho.name)
        FILTER (WHERE cho.id IS NOT NULL))) ||
    jsonb_build_object('emergency_opening_times', COALESCE(
        core_openingtime_jsonb_sort(jsonb_agg(DISTINCT jsonb_build_object(
        'weekday', ceot.weekday,
        'from_hour', ceot.from_hour,
        'to_hour', ceot.to_hour))
        FILTER (WHERE ceot.id IS NOT NULL)))) ||
    jsonb_build_object('opening_times', COALESCE(
        core_openingtime_jsonb_sort(jsonb_agg(DISTINCT jsonb_build_object(
        'weekday', cot.weekday,
        'from_hour', cot.from_hour,
        'to_hour', cot.to_hour))
        FILTER (WHERE cot.id IS NOT NULL)))) ||
    jsonb_build_object('possible_work_times', COALESCE(
        core_generalworkavailability_jsonb_sort(jsonb_agg(DISTINCT jsonb_build_object(
        'weekday', cgwa.weekday,
        'forenoon', cgwa.forenoon,
        'afternoon', cgwa.afternoon,
        'evening', cgwa.evening))
        FILTER (WHERE cgwa.id IS NOT NULL)))) ||
    jsonb_build_object('qualifications',
     jsonb_build_object('administrative', COALESCE(jsonb_agg(DISTINCT cqa.name ORDER BY cqa.name)
        FILTER (WHERE cqa.id IS NOT NULL))) ||
     jsonb_build_object('health', COALESCE(jsonb_agg(DISTINCT cqh.name ORDER BY cqh.name)
        FILTER (WHERE cqh.id IS NOT NULL))) ||
     jsonb_build_object('language', COALESCE(jsonb_agg(DISTINCT cqlang.name ORDER BY cqlang.name)
        FILTER (WHERE cqlang.id IS NOT NULL))) ||
     jsonb_build_object('license', COALESCE(jsonb_agg(DISTINCT cqlic.name ORDER BY cqlic.name)
        FILTER (WHERE cqlic.id IS NOT NULL))) ||
     jsonb_build_object('technical', COALESCE(jsonb_agg(DISTINCT cqt.name ORDER BY cqt.name)
        FILTER (WHERE cqt.id IS NOT NULL)))) ||
    jsonb_build_object('restrictions', COALESCE(jsonb_agg(DISTINCT cr.name ORDER BY cr.name)
        FILTER (WHERE cr.id IS NOT NULL))) ||
    jsonb_build_object('user_permissions', COALESCE(jsonb_agg(DISTINCT ap.name ORDER BY ap.name)
        FILTER (WHERE ap.id IS NOT NULL))) AS "other_data"
    FROM core_person cp
    LEFT JOIN core_person_emergency_opening_times cpeot ON cpeot.person_id=cp.id
    LEFT JOIN core_openingtime ceot ON ceot.id=cpeot.openingtime_id
    LEFT JOIN core_person_groups cpg ON cpg.person_id=cp.id
    LEFT JOIN auth_group ag ON ag.id=cpg.group_id
    LEFT JOIN core_person_help_operations cpho ON cpho.person_id=cp.id
    LEFT JOIN core_helpoperation cho ON cho.id=cpho.helpoperation_id
    LEFT JOIN core_person_opening_times cpot ON cpot.person_id=cp.id
    LEFT JOIN core_openingtime cot ON cot.id=cpot.openingtime_id
    LEFT JOIN core_person_possible_work_times cppwt ON cppwt.person_id=cp.id
    LEFT JOIN core_generalworkavailability cgwa ON cgwa.id=cppwt.generalworkavailability_id
    LEFT JOIN core_person_qualifications_administrative cpqa ON cpqa.person_id=cp.id
    LEFT JOIN core_qualificationadministrative cqa ON cqa.id=cpqa.qualificationadministrative_id
    LEFT JOIN core_person_qualifications_health cpqh ON cpqh.person_id=cp.id
    LEFT JOIN core_qualificationhealth cqh ON cqh.id=cpqh.qualificationhealth_id
    LEFT JOIN core_person_qualifications_language cpqlang ON cpqlang.person_id=cp.id
    LEFT JOIN core_qualificationlanguage cqlang ON cqlang.id=cpqlang.qualificationlanguage_id
    LEFT JOIN core_person_qualifications_license cpqlic ON cpqlic.person_id=cp.id
    LEFT JOIN core_qualificationlicense cqlic ON cqlic.id=cpqlic.qualificationlicense_id
    LEFT JOIN core_person_qualifications_technical cpqt ON cpqt.person_id=cp.id
    LEFT JOIN core_qualificationtechnical cqt ON cqt.id=cpqt.qualificationtechnical_id
    LEFT JOIN core_person_restrictions cpr ON cpr.person_id=cp.id
    LEFT JOIN core_restriction cr ON cr.id=cpr.restriction_id
    LEFT JOIN core_person_user_permissions cpup ON cpup.person_id=cp.id
    LEFT JOIN auth_permission ap ON ap.id=cpup.permission_id
    GROUP BY cp.email, cp.first_name, cp.last_name, cp.street, cp.number
    ORDER BY cp.email
) TO STDOUT WITH (FORMAT csv, HEADER, FORCE_QUOTE *, ENCODING 'UTF-8');

DROP FUNCTION core_openingtime_jsonb_sort(JSONB);
DROP FUNCTION core_generalworkavailability_jsonb_sort(JSONB);
-- -----END SQL-----

Thanks in advance,
//mirabilos
--
„Cool, /usr/share/doc/mksh/examples/uhr.gz ist ja ein Grund,
mksh auf jedem System zu installieren.“

Re: DISTINCT *and* ORDER BY in aggregate functions on expressions(!)

Date:
mirabilos <tg@evolvis.org> writes:
> This works well. However, what I seem to be not allowed to do is
> (without the extra COALESCE, to simplify):
> This is because, when I use DISTINCT (but only then‽), the ORDER BY
> arguments must be… arguments to the function, or something.

Well, yeah.  Simplify it to

  SELECT array_agg(DISTINCT x ORDER BY y) FROM mytable;

If there are several rows containing the same value of x and different
values of y, which y value are we supposed to sort the unique-ified x
value by?  It's an ill-defined query.

For the specific example you give, it's true that any specific
possible output of jsonb_build_object() would correspond to
a unique set of cot.weekday, cot.from_hour, cot.to_hour values.
But the parser can't be expected to know that.  Many functions
can produce the same output for different sets of inputs.

I'd suggest moving the distinct-ification into an earlier
processing step (i.e. a sub-select), or maybe thinking harder
about why you're getting duplicates in the first place.

            regards, tom lane

Re: DISTINCT *and* ORDER BY in aggregate functions on expressions(!)

From
"David G. Johnston"
Date:
    ORDER BY cot.weekday, cot.from_hour, cot.to_hour)
)

This is because, when I use DISTINCT (but only then‽), the ORDER BY
arguments must be… arguments to the function, or something.

So long as the function call itself is at least stable...:

DISTINCT func_call(...) ORDER BY func_call(...)

Order By is evaluated AFTER and over the contents of the distinct-ified expression

All other solutions I can find involve subqueries in the first
place; I am somewhat proud I even managed to write this with
JOINs and without any subqueries in the first place so I’m
hesitant to go that route.

That pride seems misplaced.  Related to Tom's comment, the presence of the DISTINCTs is telling you that what you did is not good.  DISTINCT is almost always a code smell, and given the prevalence of direct table joins in your query, it is indeed a valid signal.

Lastly, if you do need to care about normalizing the output of JSON you should consider writing a function that takes arbitrary json input and reformats it, rather than trying to build up json from scratch where every individual component needs to be aware and take action.  i.e., get rid of the ORDER BY also.  Maybe this belongs in an application layer with tooling that already provides this capability.

David J.

Date:
Lastly, if you do need to care about normalizing the output of JSON you should consider writing a function that takes arbitrary json input and reformats it, rather than trying to build up json from scratch where every individual component needs to be aware and take action.  i.e., get rid of the ORDER BY also.  Maybe this belongs in an application layer with tooling that already provides this capability.

Just to clarify/correct myself - if building up json arrays you'll just remove the distinct and then do a normal aggregate order by based upon whatever ordering the base data presents.  I was thinking you were doing order by to get keys in order (i.e., jsonb_object_agg) but that isn't the case here.

David J.

Re: DISTINCT *and* ORDER BY in aggregate functions on expressions(!)

From
Thorsten Glaser
Date:
On Mon, 27 Feb 2023, Tom Lane wrote:

>Well, yeah.  Simplify it to
>
>  SELECT array_agg(DISTINCT x ORDER BY y) FROM mytable;

That’s… a bit too simple for this case.

>If there are several rows containing the same value of x and different
>values of y, which y value are we supposed to sort the unique-ified x
>value by?  It's an ill-defined query.

The problem here is that I do not have an ‘x’.

>For the specific example you give, it's true that any specific
>possible output of jsonb_build_object() would correspond to
>a unique set of cot.weekday, cot.from_hour, cot.to_hour values.

Not necessarily (see directly below), but why would that matter?
It should sort the generated JSON objects within the array.

>, or maybe thinking harder
>about why you're getting duplicates in the first place.

The application developer informed me that it’s entirely possible
that some user entered matching information twice. I don’t have
the exact query that produced duplicates easily in the history
(the downside of working with \i) and tests on other users didn’t
produce duplicates.

So, yes, filtering them out is indeed part of the task here.

On Mon, 27 Feb 2023, David G. Johnston wrote:

>So long as the function call itself is at least stable...:
>
>DISTINCT func_call(...) ORDER BY func_call(...)

aieee really?

(I’d hope jsonb_build_object to be.)

Is that better or worse than using the extra functions to sort…?

>Order By is evaluated AFTER and over the contents of the distinct-ified
>expression

That’s right and good, but the problem is that I do not seem to
have a syntax with which to refer to the distinct-ified expression
to use in the ORDER BY clause.

>> place; I am somewhat proud I even managed to write this with
>> JOINs and without any subqueries in the first place so I’m
>> hesitant to go that route.
>
>That pride seems misplaced.  Related to Tom's comment, the presence of the
>DISTINCTs is telling you that what you did is not good.  DISTINCT is almost
>always a code smell

Not about the DISTINCTs. I haven’t used JOIN much (usually WHERE
as inner join) nor on tables this massive, and this is my second
foray into aggregate functions only.

>Lastly, if you do need to care about normalizing the output of JSON you
>should consider writing a function that takes arbitrary json input and
>reformats it, rather than trying to build up json from scratch where every
>individual component needs to be aware and take action.  i.e., get rid of
>the ORDER BY also.  Maybe this belongs in an application layer with tooling
>that already provides this capability.

Funnily enough, both here and in the other place where I tried to
use JSON output, PostgreSQL (with COPY TO STDOUT) *is* the application
layer. Here I’m generating a CSV file; in the other situation I was
going to put the generated JSON directly into an HTTP result filehandle.

In the latter, I dropped that approach, output CSV and converted that
(by replacing newlines with “],[” and prepending “[[” and appending
“]]”) to JSON myself, which worked there as it was all-numeric. But
the frustration there was about unnecessary whitespace instead.

Both cases have in common that a, possibly huge, result set can be
directly streamed from PostgreSQL to the consumer, but the former
lacks just that tiny bit of functionality that would make it really
rock :/

I was asking here because perhaps either that missing functionality
can be considered, or to find out if there’s better ways to produce
that output, due to my inexperience with SQL. The ways I’m using do
work, and I’m relatively happy, but…

bye,
//mirabilos
--
15:41⎜<Lo-lan-do:#fusionforge> Somebody write a testsuite for helloworld :-)

Re: DISTINCT *and* ORDER BY in aggregate functions on expressions(!)

Date:
Thorsten Glaser <tg@evolvis.org> writes:
> On Mon, 27 Feb 2023, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Well, yeah.  Simplify it to
>> SELECT array_agg(DISTINCT x ORDER BY y) FROM mytable;

> That’s… a bit too simple for this case.

Sure, I was just trying to explain the rule.

>> For the specific example you give, it's true that any specific
>> possible output of jsonb_build_object() would correspond to
>> a unique set of cot.weekday, cot.from_hour, cot.to_hour values.

> Not necessarily (see directly below), but why would that matter?
> It should sort the generated JSON objects within the array.

Well, that may be what you want, but it's not what you wrote in
the query.  Follow David's advice and do

jsonb_agg(DISTINCT jsonb_build_object(
    'weekday', cot.weekday,
    'from_hour', cot.from_hour,
    'to_hour', cot.to_hour)
          ORDER BY jsonb_build_object(
    'weekday', cot.weekday,
    'from_hour', cot.from_hour,
    'to_hour', cot.to_hour))

I'm pretty sure that this will only incur one evaluation of the
common subexpression, so even though it's tedious to type it's not
inefficient.

            regards, tom lane

Date: