Getting started

From
PG Doc comments form
Date:

Page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/15/user-manag.html

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/tutorial-createdb.html

The "getting started" page skips right from the installing to already having
started the program, but on linux machines, you cannot start psql without
inputting a special command, "sudo -u postgres psql".  Typing psql will make
the program tell you that your username doesn't exist, and you can't create
a username for psql without starting psql first.  I had to search somewhere
else to learn that I had to start psql with that special command.

https://www.cherryservers.com/blog/how-to-install-and-setup-postgresql-server-on-ubuntu-20-04

Re: Getting started

From
Laurenz Albe
On Sat, 2022-12-10 at 18:46 +0000, PG Doc comments form wrote:

> Page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/15/user-manag.html
>
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/tutorial-createdb.html
>
> The "getting started" page skips right from the installing to already having
> started the program, but on linux machines, you cannot start psql without
> inputting a special command, "sudo -u postgres psql".  Typing psql will make
> the program tell you that your username doesn't exist, and you can't create
> a username for psql without starting psql first.  I had to search somewhere
> else to learn that I had to start psql with that special command.

Yes, the "initdb" step is missing.

If we had that, it would be clear that the rest of the chapter assumes that
you are running shell commands with an operating system user whose name
is identical to the bootstrap superuser.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

Re: Getting started

Date:
xOn Mon, Dec 12, 2022 at 08:20:03AM +0100, Laurenz Albe wrote:
> On Sat, 2022-12-10 at 18:46 +0000, PG Doc comments form wrote:
> > The following documentation comment has been logged on the website:
> >
> > Page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/15/user-manag.html
> >
> > https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/tutorial-createdb.html
> >
> > The "getting started" page skips right from the installing to already having
> > started the program, but on linux machines, you cannot start psql without
> > inputting a special command, "sudo -u postgres psql".  Typing psql will make
> > the program tell you that your username doesn't exist, and you can't create
> > a username for psql without starting psql first.  I had to search somewhere
> > else to learn that I had to start psql with that special command.
>
> Yes, the "initdb" step is missing.
>
> If we had that, it would be clear that the rest of the chapter assumes that
> you are running shell commands with an operating system user whose name
> is identical to the bootstrap superuser.

I looked at this and initdb is mentioned in the installation section,
and an incorrect user name is mentions as part of craetedb failure.  I
don't see what we can add to improve things here.