reviving "custom" dump

From
Rob Sargent
Short version: Does a current version of postgres tolerate ascii dumps from older versions?

I've been charged with reviving an old project.  I have a dump dated July of 2021 which file tells me is a "PostgreSQL custom database dump V1.13-0".  If our compute centre won't roll me a V12(?) postgres server, I'll need to use an "office" machine to bring this dataset back to life.  If I pull that off can I make an ascii dump and import that into our main db server (V14) or will I have to also install V14 in the office and dump/restore with that?

Re: reviving "custom" dump

From
"David G. Johnston"
Date:
Short version: Does a current version of postgres tolerate ascii dumps from older versions?

I've been charged with reviving an old project.  I have a dump dated July of 2021 which file tells me is a "PostgreSQL custom database dump V1.13-0".  If our compute centre won't roll me a V12(?) postgres server, I'll need to use an "office" machine to bring this dataset back to life.  If I pull that off can I make an ascii dump and import that into our main db server (V14) or will I have to also install V14 in the office and dump/restore with that?

You should read the description and notes sections for how this command works and its capabilities and potential limitations.

David J.

Re: reviving "custom" dump

Date:
Rob Sargent <robjsargent@gmail.com> writes:
> Short version: Does a current version of postgres tolerate ascii dumps
> from older versions?

We intend it to.  Have you got an actual problem?

            regards, tom lane

Re: reviving "custom" dump

From
Rob Sargent
Date:
Short version: Does a current version of postgres tolerate ascii dumps
from older versions?
We intend it to.  Have you got an actual problem?
			regards, tom lane
I have to lay out options in the morning.  Thanks.  Now off to follow David's justified pointer.

Re: reviving "custom" dump

From
Rob Sargent
Date:
Short version: Does a current version of postgres tolerate ascii dumps from older versions?

I've been charged with reviving an old project.  I have a dump dated July of 2021 which file tells me is a "PostgreSQL custom database dump V1.13-0".  If our compute centre won't roll me a V12(?) postgres server, I'll need to use an "office" machine to bring this dataset back to life.  If I pull that off can I make an ascii dump and import that into our main db server (V14) or will I have to also install V14 in the office and dump/restore with that?

You should read the description and notes sections for how this command works and its capabilities and potential limitations.

David J.

Off by one error here perhaps:  I have a custom dump in hand, it's restoring that is the problem.  But pretty sure the take home from pg_restore is "Use the newer version both ways".  Though mildly amused at the
;     Dumped from database version: 8.3.5
;     Dumped by pg_dump version: 8.3.8

in the re-ordering example!