BUG #17646: create rule named "_RETURN" will cause pg core

From
PG Bug reporting form
Date:

Bug reference:      17646
Logged by:          kui liu
Email address:      liukui@kingbase.com.cn
PostgreSQL version: 15.0
Operating system:   linux

Hi, I encounter an error, it may be a bug,  thx.

here is a test case

create table t (id integer);
create view v1 as select * from t;
create or replace rule "_RETURN" as on UPDATE to v1 do instead select * from
t;
select * from v1;

execute up sql, will get this error

        before or while processing the request.
!?>

Re: BUG #17646: create rule named "_RETURN" will cause pg core

Date:
> here is a test case

> create table t (id integer);
> create view v1 as select * from t;
> create or replace rule "_RETURN" as on UPDATE to v1 do instead select * from
> t;

Meh.  We should be preventing you from doing that.

(Although the core dump is also not great --- something should've noticed
the bogosity of the plan earlier than this.)

            regards, tom lane

Re: BUG #17646: create rule named "_RETURN" will cause pg core

From
Ilya Anfimov
Date:
On Mon, Oct 17, 2022 at 10:17:55AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> PG Bug reporting form <noreply@postgresql.org> writes:
> > here is a test case
>
> > create table t (id integer);
> > create view v1 as select * from t;
> > create or replace rule "_RETURN" as on UPDATE to v1 do instead select * from
> > t;
>
> Meh.  We should be preventing you from doing that.
>
> (Although the core dump is also not great --- something should've noticed
> the bogosity of the plan earlier than this.)

 Id doesn't look much of a plan bogosity,
but rather implicit deletion of the "_RETURN" on select rule.

Consider the behaviour of the direct drop rule:

ilan=*> create table t (id integer);
CREATE TABLE
ilan=*> create view v1 as select * from t;
CREATE VIEW
ilan=*> DROP RULE "_RETURN" ON v1;
ERROR:  cannot drop rule _RETURN on view v1 because view v1 requires it
ПОДСКАЗКА:  You can drop view v1 instead.

On Mon, Oct 17, 2022 at 12:03:15PM +0000, PG Bug reporting form wrote:

> Bug reference:      17646
> Logged by:          kui liu
> Email address:      liukui@kingbase.com.cn
> PostgreSQL version: 15.0
> Operating system:   linux
>
> Hi, I encounter an error, it may be a bug,  thx.
>
> here is a test case
>
> create table t (id integer);
> create view v1 as select * from t;
> create or replace rule "_RETURN" as on UPDATE to v1 do instead select * from
> t;
> select * from v1;
>
> execute up sql, will get this error

>         This probably means the server terminated abnormally
> !?>

btw, I'm confirming the bug for postgres from at least 8.4 to 14.

Version 11 and less instead of segfault prints someting like:

ilan=*# select * from v1;
ERROR:  could not open file "base/24576/57373": No such file or directory

Re: BUG #17646: create rule named "_RETURN" will cause pg core

Date:
Ilya Anfimov <ilan@tzirechnoy.com> writes:
> On Mon, Oct 17, 2022 at 10:17:55AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> (Although the core dump is also not great --- something should've noticed
>> the bogosity of the plan earlier than this.)

>  Id doesn't look much of a plan bogosity,
> but rather implicit deletion of the "_RETURN" on select rule.

Right, but then since there's no applicable rule, we end up generating
a plan that tries to do a seqscan directly on the view relation,
which of course lacks storage.  Something should notice that a little
sooner than segfaulting because of rel->rd_tableam being NULL --- it's
not like we don't have hundreds of other sanity checks for not-really-
supposed-to-happen catalog corruption.

In versions before v12, I get something like

regression=# select * from v1;
ERROR:  could not open file "base/16384/49209": No such file or directory

which is a shade less bad, but still not great.

            regards, tom lane

Date:
On Mon, Oct 17, 2022 at 10:41:35AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> Ilya Anfimov <ilan@tzirechnoy.com> writes:
> > On Mon, Oct 17, 2022 at 10:17:55AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> >> (Although the core dump is also not great --- something should've noticed
> >> the bogosity of the plan earlier than this.)
>
> >  Id doesn't look much of a plan bogosity,
> > but rather implicit deletion of the "_RETURN" on select rule.
>
> Right, but then since there's no applicable rule, we end up generating
> a plan that tries to do a seqscan directly on the view relation,
> which of course lacks storage.  Something should notice that a little
> sooner than segfaulting because of rel->rd_tableam being NULL --- it's
> not like we don't have hundreds of other sanity checks for not-really-
> supposed-to-happen catalog corruption.
>
> In versions before v12, I get something like
>
> regression=# select * from v1;
> ERROR:  could not open file "base/16384/49209": No such file or directory
>
> which is a shade less bad, but still not great.

 Another  solution  would  be  to always create a real heap file and let
anyone dropped to that state select it, if he wishes.

btw, the documentation clearly says that it does so:
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/14/rules-views.html

<<In fact, there is essentially no difference between:

CREATE VIEW myview AS SELECT * FROM mytab;
compared against the two commands:

CREATE TABLE myview (same column list as mytab);
CREATE RULE "_RETURN" AS ON SELECT TO myview DO INSTEAD
    SELECT * FROM mytab;
because this is exactly what the CREATE VIEW command does internally. >>