PostgreSQL 15 GA release date

From
"Jonathan S. Katz"
Date:
Hi,

The PostgreSQL 15 GA release (15.0) is now scheduled for October 13,
2022. The release team changed this from the planned date of October 6
to allow for additional testing of recent changes.

Please let us know if you have any questions. We're excited that we are
very close to officially releasing PostgreSQL 15.

Thanks,

Jonathan

Attachment

re: PostgreSQL 15 GA release date

From
Ranier Vilela
Date:
>Please let us know if you have any questions. We're excited that we are
>very close to officially releasing PostgreSQL 15.
Hi, forgive my ignorance.
What are the rules for a commit to be included in the release notes?
Does it need to be explicitly requested?

Why is the commit 8cb2a22 (bug fix), not included?
I think users of this function should be better informed.

regards,
Ranier Vilela

Re: PostgreSQL 15 GA release date

From
Justin Pryzby
Date:
On Mon, Oct 03, 2022 at 09:05:34AM -0300, Ranier Vilela wrote:
> >Please let us know if you have any questions. We're excited that we are
> >very close to officially releasing PostgreSQL 15.
> Hi, forgive my ignorance.
> What are the rules for a commit to be included in the release notes?
> Does it need to be explicitly requested?
>
> Why is the commit 8cb2a22 (bug fix), not included?

It's not included in the release notes for major version 15, since it
was backpatched to v12, so it's not a "change in v15" (for example,
someone upgrading from v14.6 will already have that change).

It'll be included in the minor release notes, instead.

--
Justin

Re: PostgreSQL 15 GA release date

From
Julien Rouhaud
Date:
On Mon, Oct 03, 2022 at 09:05:34AM -0300, Ranier Vilela wrote:
> >Please let us know if you have any questions. We're excited that we are
> >very close to officially releasing PostgreSQL 15.
> Hi, forgive my ignorance.
> What are the rules for a commit to be included in the release notes?
> Does it need to be explicitly requested?
>
> Why is the commit 8cb2a22
> <https://github.com/postgres/postgres/commit/8cb2a22bbb2cf4212482ac15021ceaa2e9c52209>
> (bug fix), not included?
> I think users of this function should be better informed.

That commit has been backpatched, so it's not new in pg15 and will be in the
release notes of the next minor versions.

Date:
Em seg., 3 de out. de 2022 às 09:39, Justin Pryzby <pryzby@telsasoft.com> escreveu:
On Mon, Oct 03, 2022 at 09:05:34AM -0300, Ranier Vilela wrote:
> >Please let us know if you have any questions. We're excited that we are
> >very close to officially releasing PostgreSQL 15.
> Hi, forgive my ignorance.
> What are the rules for a commit to be included in the release notes?
> Does it need to be explicitly requested?
>
> Why is the commit 8cb2a22 (bug fix), not included?

It's not included in the release notes for major version 15, since it
was backpatched to v12, so it's not a "change in v15" (for example,
someone upgrading from v14.6 will already have that change).

It'll be included in the minor release notes, instead.
Thanks Justin for the clarification.

regards,
Ranier Vilela

Date:
Em seg., 3 de out. de 2022 às 09:40, Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123@gmail.com> escreveu:
On Mon, Oct 03, 2022 at 09:05:34AM -0300, Ranier Vilela wrote:
> >Please let us know if you have any questions. We're excited that we are
> >very close to officially releasing PostgreSQL 15.
> Hi, forgive my ignorance.
> What are the rules for a commit to be included in the release notes?
> Does it need to be explicitly requested?
>
> Why is the commit 8cb2a22
> <https://github.com/postgres/postgres/commit/8cb2a22bbb2cf4212482ac15021ceaa2e9c52209>
> (bug fix), not included?
> I think users of this function should be better informed.

That commit has been backpatched, so it's not new in pg15 and will be in the
release notes of the next minor versions.
Thanks Julien.

regards,
Ranier Vilela