list of flags that pg_settings_get_flags reports

From
Fujii Masao
Date:
Hi,

In the docs, the display of the list of flags that pg_settings_get_flags reports looks a bit odd to me [*1]. To make it
smarter,how about using <itemizedlist> instead of <simplelist>, to list thoes flags within <row>? Patch attached.

Regards,

[*1] https://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/functions-info.html#id-1.5.8.32.19.2.2.25.1.1.1

--
Fujii Masao
Advanced Computing Technology Center

Re: list of flags that pg_settings_get_flags reports

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
On 2022-Jul-15, Fujii Masao wrote:

> Hi,
>
> In the docs, the display of the list of flags that
> pg_settings_get_flags reports looks a bit odd to me [*1]. To make it
> smarter, how about using <itemizedlist> instead of <simplelist>, to
> list thoes flags within <row>? Patch attached.

I think it should be a separate table, like tables 9.75-9.77 lists
properties for various functions.

"The problem with the facetime model is not just that it's demoralizing, but
that the people pretending to work interrupt the ones actually working."
                                                           (Paul Graham)

Re: list of flags that pg_settings_get_flags reports

From
Michael Paquier
Date:
On Fri, Jul 15, 2022 at 03:40:08PM +0200, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> I think it should be a separate table, like tables 9.75-9.77 lists
> properties for various functions.

Err, sorry for missing that.  I did not notice that a list would be
treated as separate lines in the existing function table.  Adding a
table at the bottom of the function list sounds fine to me.  I can
handle it if you want, as that's something I have committed
originally.
--
Michael

On 2022/07/16 11:46, Michael Paquier wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 15, 2022 at 03:40:08PM +0200, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>> I think it should be a separate table, like tables 9.75-9.77 lists
>> properties for various functions.

+1

> Err, sorry for missing that.  I did not notice that a list would be
> treated as separate lines in the existing function table.  Adding a
> table at the bottom of the function list sounds fine to me.

+1

Attached is the updated version of the patch. It separates the list for GUC flags from the table entry for
pg_settings_get_flags()and adds the table for it at the bottom of the existing function table.

Date:
On Wed, Jul 20, 2022 at 01:51:36PM +0900, Fujii Masao wrote:
> Attached is the updated version of the patch. It separates the list
> for GUC flags from the table entry for pg_settings_get_flags() and
> adds the table for it at the bottom of the existing function table.

Thanks a lot for sending a patch.  This looks fine to me.
--
Michael

Attachment

Re: list of flags that pg_settings_get_flags reports

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
Hello

On 2022-Jul-20, Fujii Masao wrote:

> Attached is the updated version of the patch. It separates the list
> for GUC flags from the table entry for pg_settings_get_flags() and
> adds the table for it at the bottom of the existing function table.

I lament the fact that the version of DocBook we use doesn't let us add
captions; it would be much better to have "Flags to use with function
pg_settings_get_flags()" under the table; unadorned, you have to guess
or search.  But that's already a problem with the other similar tables,
so let's just plow ahead.  +1 to this patch.

On 2022/07/20 16:26, Michael Paquier wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 20, 2022 at 01:51:36PM +0900, Fujii Masao wrote:
>> Attached is the updated version of the patch. It separates the list
>> for GUC flags from the table entry for pg_settings_get_flags() and
>> adds the table for it at the bottom of the existing function table.
>
> Thanks a lot for sending a patch.  This looks fine to me.

Pushed. Thanks!

On 2022/07/20 18:07, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Hello
>
> On 2022-Jul-20, Fujii Masao wrote:
>
>> Attached is the updated version of the patch. It separates the list
>> for GUC flags from the table entry for pg_settings_get_flags() and
>> adds the table for it at the bottom of the existing function table.
>
> I lament the fact that the version of DocBook we use doesn't let us add
> captions; it would be much better to have "Flags to use with function
> pg_settings_get_flags()" under the table; unadorned, you have to guess
> or search.

Or, though it's not a caption under the table, it's better to have "Flags to use with function pg_settings_get_flags()"
inthe title of the table as follows?

-   <title>GUC Flags</title>
+   <title>GUC Flags To Use With Function pg_settings_get_flags()</title>
     <tgroup cols="2">

Fujii Masao
Advanced Computing Technology Center
Research and Development Headquarters
NTT DATA CORPORATION

Re: list of flags that pg_settings_get_flags reports

From
Justin Pryzby
Date:
On Thu, Jul 21, 2022 at 12:19:59PM +0900, Fujii Masao wrote:
> On 2022/07/20 16:26, Michael Paquier wrote:
> > On Wed, Jul 20, 2022 at 01:51:36PM +0900, Fujii Masao wrote:
> > > Attached is the updated version of the patch. It separates the list
> > > for GUC flags from the table entry for pg_settings_get_flags() and
> > > adds the table for it at the bottom of the existing function table.
> >
> > Thanks a lot for sending a patch.  This looks fine to me.
>
> Pushed. Thanks!

f2d0c7f18 should be backpatched to v15.

The existing docs are not good.
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/functions-info.html#id-1.5.8.32.19.2.2.25.1.1.1

--
Justin

Re: list of flags that pg_settings_get_flags reports

Date:
Justin Pryzby <pryzby@telsasoft.com> writes:
> f2d0c7f18 should be backpatched to v15.

Agreed, done.

            regards, tom lane

Date:
On Thu, Nov 03, 2022 at 07:53:55PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> Agreed, done.

Thanks for taking care of that!
--
Michael