No search results for "BETWEEN"

From
PG Doc comments form
Date:

Page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/14/functions-comparison.html

For some reason, searching for "BETWEEN" (no quotes) on the docs site
returns no hits:

https://www.postgresql.org/search/?q=BETWEEN

This is surprising, because the comparison operator "BETWEEN" is in fact
well documented in section 9.2, "Comparison Functions and Operators":

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/14/functions-comparison.html

Searching for "the between predicate simplifies range tests" does turn
up a hit for that page, so it's indexed, but the words "The BETWEEN" are
not set in bold in the search result. Perhaps "BETWEEN" is being treated
as a stop word, even though it's capitalized and an SQL keyword?

It would be nice for this to appear in a Postgres search instead of
having to resort to a normal web search (whose results usually include
half a dozen blogspam entries before the actual desired docs).

Re: No search results for "BETWEEN"

Date:
PG Doc comments form <noreply@postgresql.org> writes:
> Searching for "the between predicate simplifies range tests" does turn
> up a hit for that page, so it's indexed, but the words "The BETWEEN" are
> not set in bold in the search result. Perhaps "BETWEEN" is being treated
> as a stop word, even though it's capitalized and an SQL keyword?

A quick grep shows that if "between" weren't a stopword, it would
produce almost 600 hits in our core docs, most of which are not what
you're looking for.  So I concur with somebody's apparent decision
to make it a stopword.

Use the index.

            regards, tom lane

Re: No search results for "BETWEEN"

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
On Fri, Jun 24, 2022 at 4:40 PM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
PG Doc comments form <noreply@postgresql.org> writes:
> Searching for "the between predicate simplifies range tests" does turn
> up a hit for that page, so it's indexed, but the words "The BETWEEN" are
> not set in bold in the search result. Perhaps "BETWEEN" is being treated
> as a stop word, even though it's capitalized and an SQL keyword?

A quick grep shows that if "between" weren't a stopword, it would
produce almost 600 hits in our core docs, most of which are not what
you're looking for.  So I concur with somebody's apparent decision
to make it a stopword.

It is a standard stopword in the snowball stemmers we ship, sadly. I don't think we have an easy way to say "use this dictionary and it's stopwords, except these couple of words that we want to not be stopwords"? Other than having to maintain a separate copy of the whole file and then forgetting to update it?

//Magnus