Compare variables of composite type with slightly different column types

From
Andrey Lepikhov
Date:
Hi,
Researching on join selectivity improvement I stuck into the code in
rowtypes.c:

/*
  * Have two matching columns, they must be same type
  */
if (att1->atttypid != att2->atttypid)
   ereport(ERROR, ...

Why, for example, isn't allowed next trivial query:

SELECT *
FROM
   (SELECT ROW(1::integer, 'robert'::text)) AS s1,
   (SELECT ROW(1::bigint, 'robert'::name)) AS s2
WHERE s1 = s2;

I guess, here the compatible_oper() routine can be used to find a
appropriate operator, or something like that can be invented.
I looked into the 2cd7084 and a4424c5, but don't found any rationale.

--
Regards
Andrey Lepikhov

Re: Compare variables of composite type with slightly different column types

From
Andrey Lepikhov
Date:
On 26/5/2022 14:25, Andrey Lepikhov wrote:
> I guess, here the compatible_oper() routine can be used to find a
> appropriate operator, or something like that can be invented.
> I looked into the 2cd7084 and a4424c5, but don't found any rationale.

In accordance to this idea I prepared a code. For a demo only.

--
regards,
Andrey Lepikhov