amcheck is using a wrong macro to check compressed-ness

From
Kyotaro Horiguchi
Date:
Hello.

While I looked into a patch, I noticed that check_tuple_attribute does
not run the check for compessed data even if a compressed data is
given.

check_tuple_attribute()
..
    struct varatt_external toast_pointer;
..
    VARATT_EXTERNAL_GET_POINTER(toast_pointer, attr);
..
    if (VARATT_IS_COMPRESSED(&toast_pointer))
    {

Since toast_pointer is a varatt_exteral it should be
VARATT_EXTERNAL_IS_COMPRESSED instead.  Since the just following
corss-check is just the reverse of what the macro does, it is useless.

What do you think about the attached?  The problem code is new in
PG15.

regards.

--
Kyotaro Horiguchi
NTT Open Source Software Center

Attachment

Re: amcheck is using a wrong macro to check compressed-ness

From
Michael Paquier
Date:
On Tue, May 17, 2022 at 04:27:19PM +0900, Kyotaro Horiguchi wrote:
> What do you think about the attached?  The problem code is new in
> PG15.

Adding Robert in CC, as this has been added with bd807be.  I have
added an open item for now.
--
Michael

Date:
On Tue, May 17, 2022 at 04:58:11PM +0900, Michael Paquier wrote:
> Adding Robert in CC, as this has been added with bd807be.  I have
> added an open item for now.

With the individual in CC, that's even better.
--

Date:
On Wed, May 18, 2022 at 09:55:07AM +0900, Michael Paquier wrote:
> On Tue, May 17, 2022 at 04:58:11PM +0900, Michael Paquier wrote:
>> Adding Robert in CC, as this has been added with bd807be.  I have
>> added an open item for now.
>
> With the individual in CC, that's even better.

Three weeks later, ping.  Robert, could you look at this thread?
--

Date:
On Thu, Jun 09, 2022 at 10:48:27AM +0900, Michael Paquier wrote:
> Three weeks later, ping.  Robert, could you look at this thread?

And again.  beta2 is planned to next week, and this is still an open
item.  I could look at that by myself, but I always tend to get easily
confused with all the VARATT macros when it comes to compressed blobs,
so it would take a bit of time.
--
Michael

Attachment

Re: amcheck is using a wrong macro to check compressed-ness

From
Robert Haas
Date:
On Tue, Jun 21, 2022 at 9:56 PM Michael Paquier <michael@paquier.xyz> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 09, 2022 at 10:48:27AM +0900, Michael Paquier wrote:
> > Three weeks later, ping.  Robert, could you look at this thread?
>
> And again.  beta2 is planned to next week, and this is still an open
> item.  I could look at that by myself, but I always tend to get easily
> confused with all the VARATT macros when it comes to compressed blobs,
> so it would take a bit of time.

Oops, I missed this thread. I think the patch is correct, so I have
committed it.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com

Date:
On Wed, Jun 22, 2022 at 01:14:57PM -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
> Oops, I missed this thread. I think the patch is correct, so I have
> committed it.

Thanks, Robert.
--
Michael