Incremental Postgres database backup

From
Firthouse banu
Date:
Hello Team,

Needed an expert advice.
Can you guys suggest me to a open source tool which can be used to take incremental backup of individual Postgres databases…

We have very large databases whose sizes are again TBs when we do pg_dump or pg_dump all its taking days to complete backups ..

Thanks in advance

Regards
Firthouse

Re: Incremental Postgres database backup

From
Magnus Rolf
Date:
Hi Frthouse, go look for a tool like barman using the rsync option.
Another tool might be PG backrest.

Just go to PostgreSQL.org, downloads and search the software libraries. https://www.postgresql.org/download/products/1-administrationdevelopment-tools/

Good luck,
Magnus Rolf

From: Firthouse banu <penguinsfairy@gmail.com>
Sent: Monday, March 7, 2022 6:53:32 AM
To: pgsql-admin@lists.postgresql.org <pgsql-admin@lists.postgresql.org>; pgsql-admin@postgresql.org <pgsql-admin@postgresql.org>
Subject: Incremental Postgres database backup

Hello Team,

Needed an expert advice.
Can you guys suggest me to a open source tool which can be used to take incremental backup of individual Postgres databases…

We have very large databases whose sizes are again TBs when we do pg_dump or pg_dump all its taking days to complete backups ..

Thanks in advance

Regards
Firthouse

Re: Incremental Postgres database backup

From
Ron
Date:
On 3/6/22 23:53, Firthouse banu wrote:
> Hello Team,
>
> Needed an expert advice.
> Can you guys suggest me to a open source tool which can be used to take
> incremental backup of individual Postgres databases…
>
> We have very large databases whose sizes are again TBs when we do pg_dump
> or pg_dump all its taking days to complete backups ..

We use PgBackRest, and are very pleased with it.

Re: Incremental Postgres database backup

From
Karl Denninger
Date:
Can you guys suggest me to a open source tool which can be used to take incremental backup of individual Postgres databases…

We have very large databases whose sizes are again TBs when we do pg_dump or pg_dump all its taking days to complete backups ..

We use PgBackRest, and are very pleased with it.

Ditto here.  It works very well and has the advantage of being able to produce an immediately-startable copy of the master.

One caution; you have to pay attention when doing upgrades, even of minor versions.

The other obvious option is online replication.

--
Karl Denninger
karl@denninger.net

Re: Incremental Postgres database backup

From
Ron
Date:
On 3/7/22 08:30, Karl Denninger wrote:
[snip]

> The other obvious option is online replication.

Replication is not a backup solution!!!!!

Re: Incremental Postgres database backup

From
Firthouse banu
Date:
Thanks for your responses Ron, Karl and Magnus Rolf. I will explore on PgBackRest….

Thanks
Firthouse

Date: