Extension has owner

From
Färber, Franz-Josef (StMUK)

Hello,

I discovered that extensions have owners (pg_extension.extowner).

The pgadmin4 schema diff … well er, kind of tried to report to me that the owners differ (https://redmine.postgresql.org/issues/7145).

This seems to be badly supported:

·         postgres does not seem to have support for something like ALTER EXTERNSION …. OWNER TO …

·         pg_dump does not dump the owner.

Is this a bug? At least it is uncomfortable for me currently. Is any further support to change, export or otherwise handle extension owners planned?

Tested on a fresh postgres:14 docker container.

Regards,

Franz-Josef Färber

Re: Extension has owner

Date:
=?iso-8859-1?Q?F=E4rber=2C_Franz-Josef_=28StMUK=29?= <Franz-Josef.Faerber@stmuk.bayern.de> writes:
> I discovered that extensions have owners (pg_extension.extowner).

Yup.

> This seems to be badly supported:
> ·         postgres does not seem to have support for something like ALTER EXTERNSION .... OWNER TO ...
> ·         pg_dump does not dump the owner.
> Is this a bug? At least it is uncomfortable for me currently. Is any further support to change, export or otherwise
handleextension owners planned?

It's been discussed, but there are some sticky issues around whether
to change the ownership of the extension's objects.  I don't know
of anyone working on it at the moment.

            regards, tom lane