SQL questiom

From
hamann.w@t-online.de

I am using a query pretty often that looks like
SELECT <<fixed columns from tables>> WHERE <<fixed join statements>> AND
<<actual select criterion>>

Is there a way (with sql or plpgsql)  to convert that into
SELECT myquery('<<actual select criterion>>')

Kind regards
Wolfgang Hamann

Re: SQL questiom

From
Thomas Boussekey

I am using a query pretty often that looks like
SELECT <<fixed columns from tables>> WHERE <<fixed join statements>> AND
<<actual select criterion>>

Is there a way (with sql or plpgsql)  to convert that into
SELECT myquery('<<actual select criterion>>')

Kind regards
Wolfgang Hamann

Hello Wolfgang,

You can use a FUNCTION to perform this operation

HTH,
Thomas

Re: SQL questiom

From
Jacob Bunk Nielsen
Date:
hamann.w@t-online.de writes:

> I am using a query pretty often that looks like
> SELECT <<fixed columns from tables>> WHERE <<fixed join statements>> AND
> <<actual select criterion>>
>
> Is there a way (with sql or plpgsql)  to convert that into
> SELECT myquery('<<actual select criterion>>')

I would solve that by creating a view like:

CREATE VIEW some_view_name AS
  SELECT <<fixed columns from tables>> WHERE <<fixed join statements>>;

See also https://www.postgresql.org/docs/14/sql-createview.html

Then you can query that view with your actual select criterion like:

SELECT * FROM some_view_name WHERE <<actual select criterion>>;

Best regards,
Jacob