Regclass what does reg mean

From
Cabe Steele
Date:
What does reg mean? Regclass regtype, regoper, etc

Thanks,

Cabe

Re: Regclass what does reg mean

From
"David G. Johnston"
Date:
On Fri, Nov 12, 2021 at 1:41 PM Cabe Steele <cabesteele@gmail.com> wrote:
What does reg mean? Regclass regtype, regoper, etc

"registration id for a ..." seems like a good fit.

David J.

Re: Regclass what does reg mean

Date:
Cabe Steele <cabesteele@gmail.com> writes:
> What does reg mean? Regclass regtype, regoper, etc

The origin is lost in the mists of time --- regproc dates back to
Berkeley times, and the rest of those were named on its precedent.
I've always supposed that it meant "registered", as in "entered in
the system catalogs", but I wasn't there when regproc was invented.

I wonder if there's any evidence for that ... [ digs ] ... ah-hah,
ref.cat in the Postgres v4r2 tarball, dated 03/13/94, says

        POSTGRES Type  Meaning                                 Required
        regproc        registered procedure                    *

Re: Regclass what does reg mean

Date:
On Fri, Nov 12, 2021 at 03:54:42PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> Cabe Steele <cabesteele@gmail.com> writes:
> > What does reg mean? Regclass regtype, regoper, etc
>
> The origin is lost in the mists of time --- regproc dates back to
> Berkeley times, and the rest of those were named on its precedent.
> I've always supposed that it meant "registered", as in "entered in
> the system catalogs", but I wasn't there when regproc was invented.
>
> I wonder if there's any evidence for that ... [ digs ] ... ah-hah,
> ref.cat in the Postgres v4r2 tarball, dated 03/13/94, says
>
>         POSTGRES Type  Meaning                                 Required
>         regproc        registered procedure                    *

Wow, nice sleuth work!

Date:
On Fri, Nov 12, 2021 at 1:56 PM Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
On Fri, Nov 12, 2021 at 03:54:42PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> Cabe Steele <cabesteele@gmail.com> writes:
> > What does reg mean? Regclass regtype, regoper, etc

> I wonder if there's any evidence for that ... [ digs ] ... ah-hah,
> ref.cat in the Postgres v4r2 tarball, dated 03/13/94, says
>
>         POSTGRES Type  Meaning                                 Required
>         regproc        registered procedure                    *

Wow, nice sleuth work!

I'm just hoping Tom is only a digital hoarder.

David J.