Logical Replication to Older Version

From
Miles Elam
Date:
We recently upgraded from v9.6 to v13 but are seeing some problems. It's on AWS Aurora, so I won't ask to diagnose a heavily altered version. We're hoping for better results with v12, but when we set up logical replication from v13 to v12, while the initial data snapshot copies the data, pg_stat_replication remains empty.

There are no v13-specific features or idioms in use in the databases. As a sanity check, should it be possible to set up logical replication from a newer version of PostgreSQL to an older version? Has this scenario been tested? Has the logical replication protocol changed between versions?

Thanks in advance,

Miles Elam

Re: Logical Replication to Older Version

From
Miles Elam
Date:
Follow up to this. Turns out we had a table without a primary key which halted the ongoing replication.

Reviewing this document in detail now.
https://pgdash.io/blog/postgres-replication-gotchas.html

- Miles Elam